Saltwaterauctions.com

jonp

Some of ya'll are forgetting that the site is a store with a great forum, not just a forum based site. I'm sure they see an increase in sells in the live selling, and a decrease in sells for their store as to why they are starting the auction site.

Originally Posted by DeMartini
http:///forum/post/2817492
booo

There are many other SW forums that allow you to sell stuff for FREE! Craigslist lets you sell for free too.....
I totally agree. No reason to stay here for the classifieds - they were losing to reefcentral to begin with, this just puts the nail in the coffin. Oh...and the fact that there are only 11 items on there right now isn't even worth discussing - it speaks for itself.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by JonP
http:///forum/post/2817899
Some of ya'll are forgetting that the site is a store with a great forum, not just a forum based site. I'm sure they see an increase in sells in the live selling, and a decrease in sells for their store as to why they are starting the auction site.
When they say go somewhere else. I think they mean go somewhere else to sell. Not leave and never come back. (at least the ones that are contributing in the spirit of the forum not the ones here to turn a few bucks)

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by JonP
http:///forum/post/2817899
Majority of the stuff sold on the classifieds are items SWF does NOT carry. Especially rare and unique zoa's and paly's. SWF does not sell heavy duty equipment either.

clownfish11

wait so if i have starting bid at 10 and only 1 person bids 10..then they get it for 10? Thats kind of stupid IMO

michaeltx

has everyone actually read the help and information on the new site?
Taking the time to read that information that is posted will help you understand some of the things that are being asked.
Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2818054
wait so if i have starting bid at 10 and only 1 person bids 10..then they get it for 10? Thats kind of stupid IMO
here ya go clownfish11 this should answer your question.

Reserve Price:-
Enabling a reserve price affectively means you will not sell the item for less than the amount set, for example you can set the start price at 5.00 but only accept winning bids over 50.00, should a bid be placed for 49.99 the item will close without a winner.
· Buy out (if available):-
Buy out allows you to set an amount you are willing to sell the item for – straight out. For example you can set the start price to 10.00 but offer interested parties the option to buy the item immediately for 100.00.
You can also list buy out only auctions, these auctions remove all bidding options meaning the listing can only be purchased for a set amount. To set a buy out only auction you need to set the buy out value to be exactly equal with the start bid.
· Offer-Range (if available):-
You can set a price bracket in which you are willing to listing to offer, for example if you set the price brackets from 15.00 to 100.00 interested parties will be able to offer you an amount within these brackets, you can opt whether to accept or decline these offers at any time via the members area.
Mike

clownfish11

so you have to pay to have a reserve price right? sorry this is just way to much, and kind of bogus when I can go to r2r or my local reef forum and do it all for free???

michaeltx

basically if you set the auction up as having a reserve of 50$ until that price is reached or you take the reserve off the item will be unsold.
you can set the starting bid at 5$ but until it reaches the 50$ mark it is unsold it can go higher if its a hot item though.
So lets say you set a reserve of 50$ and at the close of the auction there is a bid for $49.99 the item hasnt met the reserve and will remain unsold for you to relist.
Mike

meemmoo

I gonna keep an open mind and check out the site, but like Spider Woman said if she wants a coral she wants it in a couple of days not the amount of time for an auction to end. Is there a way to change how long the auction can run. Also for those who don't deal with paypal is there another payment method?

Is there anyone else that feels that BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING I have been a member here and love the concept as you can find many people that are local. Trades made easy. WHY WHY WHY WHY would you throw a fork in the gears of a well oiled and smooth operating system? This is sad sad sad I guess I have to start to recommend another site other than this R C No issues there or simply use Craigslist for you local area. SWF must be feeling that they need a BAILOUT ask the fed and let your business run don't hurt what you have by sticking it to the little guy. SAD SAD SAD VERY VERY SAD I hope that this passes it is like having a kidney stone it hurts like hell and you wish it would just pass.

codylowe

So what is going to stop people from contacting the seller directly for trades/cheaper sale price?
Say i see someone selling a nice zoa on the site, but i want to do package deal with other stuff he/she has. Then i contact them to see if they can do more. Then they just e-mail me their PayPal address directly and I send them money. Now it's a done deal outside the "auction" environment... No fee!
Or how are you going to keep people from posting a new coral they got and soliciting for trades or hints at selling frags of it. Maybe i drop my e-mail address in the post to communicate out of this site environment???
It just sounds to me that you are going to make a great community do some shady stuff to skirt the rules. Albeit, 5% isn't really that much, but there are a lot of people that don't want to or aren't willing to pay.
I thought yall were already heavily restricting our rights to free speech... now i feel it's just getting worse...
I can't see how this site is "good for the community" anymore. It's becoming "good for the business of SWF.com"...

codylowe

Wow, yall really left the door open for raising/adding more fees into the listings huh?
Listing Fee
From USD 0.01 To USD 1.00 0.00%
From USD 1.00 To USD 5.00 0.00%
From USD 5.00 To USD 25.00 0.00%
From USD 25.00 To USD 100.00 0.00%
From USD 100.00 To USD 500.00 0.00%
From USD 500.00 To USD 5,000.00 0.00%
From USD 5,000.00 To Above 0.00%
Additional Category Fee USD 1.00
Highlighted Item Fee USD 1.00
Bold Item Fee USD 1.00
Category Featured Fee USD 1.00
Home Page Featured Fee USD 1.00
Reserve Price Fee USD 1.00
Make Offer Fee USD 1.00
Custom Start Time Fee USD 1.00
Media Upload Fee USD 2.00
Store Account Types
Free Store 1 items, Price: -, flat fee
Basic Store 2 items, Price: USD 2.00, recurring every 30 days
Medium Store 10 items, Price: USD 3.00, recurring every 30 days
Advanced Store 50 items, Price: USD 10.00, recurring every 30 days
Expert Store 200 items, Price: USD 30.00, recurring every 30 days, [ Featured Store ]
Platinum Store 500 items, Price: USD 60.00, recurring every 30 days, [ Featured Store ]

eggs

I scanned through the comments and it doesn't appear that this scenario has been brought up:
Since SWF is taking 5%, are they prepared and willing to mediate all disputes that arise between buyers and sellars? They now have a stake in these problems.

M

markeo99

I come to saltwaterfish.com everyday 3-4 times a day and I spend my nights here. I dont think I will any longer do that cause I was here to see the eye candy for sale not to just help people but have read every post and responded if I can help I do my part.I have never really sold anything here.
but have read every post and responded if I can help I do my part.
I miss the old way if the mods were haveing isuues get some more you have tons of volunteers ready to go. there are lots of us losers out here that are here more than the norm to watch heck sign me up if you want

stdreb27

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2819022
To me it's simple, we speak with our actions. If we don't buy, then swf will change it back.

Probably not, they get what they want not having the heachache of a classifieds section. And might turn a few bucks on the side...
I do think that if they want it to be successful they should open it up so pretty much anyone can use it as often as they like. And not approach it as an alternative to a classifieds section.

subielover

You may be right, the way I see it though as this is not a very friendly move by swf, it helps them and no one else.