Saltwaterauctions.com

stdreb27

Originally Posted by subielover
http:///forum/post/2819055
You may be right, the way I see it though as this is not a very friendly move by swf, it helps them and no one else.
swf.com is a business, not an organization or a non-profit.
Not to burst your bubble, but if this message board wasn't bringing them business and making them money because it drives traffic to their site, then they wouldn't do it. SWF.com isn't a message board because they are good people. They have one reason they are here, to make money they are a business.
So if the forum they are freely offering is giving direct competition a platform to compete with them, you'd think the smart thing to do is close the platform. Which they did.
Do I think it will be "successful?" I don't know, lets just say I hope they didn't spend very much on the web design. But getting mad at them because people took advantage of their freely offered courtesy so they stopped is silly.

subielover

I am not mad, and I do understand that this is a business move. However most of the stuff that I ever saw posted were items that swf did not carry
We all know what their coral selection looks like, I mean c'mon.

steelgluer

Definitly going to miss the classifieds. There should not be any money what so ever switching hands in 2 members swaping corals that just down dirty. I learned alot from this site, I might use the auction site BUT im very used to the big E. My wife and I have been selling/buying there since the begining. I looked at the site took 2 min to see the stuff for sale so went to the big E took 2 hrs what im saying think this is to fast should have launced it so fast should have put it in the air and let people sniff through it first. Meet alot of nice people here did some trade some buys for instince just the other day while going through the classifieds ran into Mr.X's post he had some cheato so I pmed him and asked him what he wanted for it plus shipping he replys I have no heat packs so I replied ill send you one and a box to send it back in. He replied just send money for shipping. I put 5 bucks and a heat pack in the box he mailed me so much back I couldnt beleive it plus he sent it priority and it was .20 cents extra which is not alot but says something about this person. Very nice people. Welp thats my .02 cenys L8R

ifirefight

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2818071
has everyone actually read the help and information on the new site?
Taking the time to read that information that is posted will help you understand some of the things that are being asked.
I have and I still cant find the answer. My question..I think others asked also,What about stuff (coral,equipment) I want to give away or trade. 90% of the stuff in my tank I have traded/swapped. Or local trading in my area...where am I supposed to post that? Will I be charged 5% to trade with somebody?
I understand the thinking behind the site,however,I for one am not here to make money...I know other people were. Its a shame a few people ruined a good thing.

steelgluer

Originally Posted by ifirefight
http:///forum/post/2819118
I have and I still cant find the answer. My question..I think others asked also,What about stuff (coral,equipment) I want to give away or trade. 90% of the stuff in my tank I have traded/swapped. Or local trading in my area...where am I supposed to post that? Will I be charged 5% to trade with somebody?
I understand the thinking behind the site,however,I for one am not here to make money...I know other people were. Its a shame a few people ruined a good thing.

Thats a +1

clownfish11

haven't you guys been bashed enough...don't you just want to change it back to make 75% of the people on here happy again?

blaze98

I must say I am not a big fan of this. The very last post in the livestock section was from someone wanting coraline shavings. It just so happens I am shaving a ton of coraline off of my tank this evening. I believe that you need a forum on this site for members to give away items and also for trading. That is simply my opinion.
I have had a few items that I did not want any longer or that simply grew so fast that I could not sell them all. At least here I could give away items to people who wanted them instead of throwing it in the trash

coral keeper

People are always complaining and always WILL! People complained about gas prices 10 years ago, people complained about gas prices 5 years ago, people complain about gas prices right now and always WILL!! People are ALWAYS complaining no matter what!! Seriously, who ever is complaining needs to stop. If you don't like it, get out of here.

subielover

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2819318
People are always complaining and always WILL! People complained about gas prices 10 years ago, people complained about gas prices 5 years ago, people complain about gas prices right now and always WILL!! People are ALWAYS complaining no matter what!! Seriously, who ever is complaining needs to stop. If you don't like it, get out of here.
Isn't that a complaint about complainers??

groupergenius

Originally Posted by blaze98
http:///forum/post/2819243
I must say I am not a big fan of this. The very last post in the livestock section was from someone wanting coraline shavings. It just so happens I am shaving a ton of coraline off of my tank this evening. I believe that you need a forum on this site for members to give away items and also for trading. That is simply my opinion.
I have had a few items that I did not want any longer or that simply grew so fast that I could not sell them all. At least here I could give away items to people who wanted them instead of throwing it in the trash
Wasn't it you blaze98 that I sent those 3 free Emerald crabs to a while back? You sent a box and paid shipping both ways. Heck, I sent another guy in Maine some free stomatellas.

blaze98

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2819337
Wasn't it you blaze98 that I sent those 3 free Emerald crabs to a while back? You sent a box and paid shipping both ways. Heck, I sent another guy in Maine some free stomatellas.
Yes it was
, this community has been great to me and I appreciate it and spread the kindness around where I can, it is a shame that we will be losing an important part of the boards.

Originally Posted by codylowe
http:///forum/post/2818854
So what is going to stop people from contacting the seller directly for trades/cheaper sale price?
Say i see someone selling a nice zoa on the site, but i want to do package deal with other stuff he/she has. Then i contact them to see if they can do more. Then they just e-mail me their PayPal address directly and I send them money. Now it's a done deal outside the "auction" environment... No fee!
Or how are you going to keep people from posting a new coral they got and soliciting for trades or hints at selling frags of it. Maybe i drop my e-mail address in the post to communicate out of this site environment???
It just sounds to me that you are going to make a great community do some shady stuff to skirt the rules. Albeit, 5% isn't really that much, but there are a lot of people that don't want to or aren't willing to pay.
I thought yall were already heavily restricting our rights to free speech... now i feel it's just getting worse...
I can't see how this site is "good for the community" anymore. It's becoming "good for the business of SWF.com"...
that is whats going to happen.
what if your selling stuff locally.????????
i have picked stuff up from other peoples houses before from off this site...
no more trading????
no more asking for curtain types of corals???
just not getting the concept...

rwp1202

Folks, I have a low post count, but I have been watching this forum nearly everyday for several years. SWF.com never used to allow selling of livestock, and I thought it was a good idea since they are a retail outlet. There was a lot of demand, so SWF made the change and created the live selling forum.
There have been several posters on this forum who have gotten out of hand in their sales, scams, or criticism of what people have offered for sale. Those posters have caused me to become very suspicious of many of the postings to the point that I have not bought anything from the forum in a long time. While I am not entirely sold on the alternative auction site, the elimination of the selling forum was inevitable.
Thumbs up to SWF.com for taking control of their board, rather than letting it degrade like some of the others have done.

This forum was created as a place where hobbyists can come and exchange ideas and get advice. As for me I'm looking forward to having more time to spread my misguided advice....
Now for the rest of you, stop moping around and start helping others in the hobby topic forums!

johnnyd

I think this a very good idea. a lot of people on here just use this forum/site to sell there corals/fish etc. for free and to make money off of swf.com. how? they post there items and swf.com gets nothing from it. there are a few members on here that sell tons of coral and are making hundreds of dollars thanks to swf.com and this forum. they should pay a fee for this because swf.com has to pay to keep this webpage up and running. too many people use this site for their own profit. and if any of you complain its because your too cheap to pay the fee. every other auction site charges a listing and sold fee so if you dont like it dont use it. CHEERS!