Saltwaterauctions.com

Everybody is forgetting that this isn't/wasn't an auction site. This is a forum. I've never heard of a forum charging a fee for their classifieds section period. If saltwaterfish.com is worried about losing money on corals, maybe their corals section shouldn't be so weak. There are 6, thats right, 6 auctions up right now. This system totally kills the vibe of the old classifieds. And I keep hearing about saltwaterfish being a business and losing money - the classifieds didn't dent any of their fish sales (where their main profit comes from). It's cool though, 100% confidence on my end that this thing isn't going to work. I just hope we can somehow get the members back that we're going to lose from all this. Dissapointing...

groupergenius

Just my $.02.
Folks, this is a free to you forum that is totally paid for by SWF.com. SWF is a business that survives on making a buck here and there. I have seen some folks here in my short time of being here that spend a great majority of their posts/ threads/ time just selling stuff.
I think it's safe for me to say that this forum was designed and began to give us the ability to talk, learn, teach, connect, and expand all of our understanding in this hobby.
Being a business, as SWF is, it was actually amazing that they (footing the bill for all this service) provided a spot for us to sell our wares. Many of which are also sold on their site. Not all, but many.
Kudos SWF.com....as long as you keep a spot open and free for those of us that trade, and or give stuff up for free. It's just a matter of us members to keep to the rules.

premilove

one day i will just not now i am enjoying my youth, something you should have done awhile back..
anyways..i hope ppl start listing items on swa soon..do any of you normal sellers plan on using the new auction site?

johnnyd

ONE MORE THING! this site also gives a free gift every purchase, sometimes the free gift is better then othertimes, but i think this is very generous.

flricordia

I thought it was a good concept at first, but after hearing there is a paypal sellers fee on top of the fee for SWF I don't think it will be such a good thing after all. I deleted my auction before I ended up having to pay anything besides the initial $2 to SWF. I can't see selling things at the rediculous prices seen on the big E and elsewhere. Takes a lot of time and work to grow corals and then to have to pay a large amoutn to pass them on...just don't think it is worth it afterall.
By the time I finished paying all the fees it probably would have ended up cheaper on me to just have sent some money to anyone that was wanting the pack instead of the pack itself.

eggs

Originally Posted by johnnyd
http:///forum/post/2820416
ONE MORE THING! this site also gives a free gift every purchase, sometimes the free gift is better then othertimes, but i think this is very generous.

The free gift I received with my last order was DOA.

morphiii

With the auction and all, everyone who sells here should pay a percentage to SWF.
In reality you are using their website to sell, so it is only fair.
If I want to bid and offer I can use ---- and you know how many scams are there!
Not a good move in my opinion.

jonp

Some of ya'll are stating that they should up their coral selection to make more money so they don't have to do the auction. How many of ya'll are going to buy $30 per polyp Zoas or any other high end corals? For those that have them and sell frags, how many ya'll will gaurntee those corals (or any of your corals for that matter) for 15 days? The auction is only a few days old with no advertisement, give it time and it will be used by more people eventually.

flricordia

Originally Posted by JonP
http:///forum/post/2820633
Some of ya'll are stating that they should up their coral selection to make more money so they don't have to do the auction. How many of ya'll are going to buy $30 per polyp Zoas or any other high end corals? For those that have them and sell frags, how many ya'll will gaurntee those corals (or any of your corals for that matter) for 15 days? The auction is only a few days old with no advertisement, give it time and it will be used by more people eventually.
I probably could give a 7 day guarantee if I was buying wholesale and turning around and selling it at 3-4 times the cost and be able to give credit for those whoes tanks are not up to par and keeping a healthy coral alive for 7 days, but I spend about 2 months on a high end zoa growing it and feeding it and checking it daily and moving it around so it becomes hardy and not as touchy as wild collected, so I personally cannot sell a zoa frag and guarantee it for 7 days. I try not to sell any of my aquacultured frags to anyone that needs a 7 day guarantee. Try killing one of my rics. you can practically mash them, cut them, leave them out of the water for 1/2 hour and it will come right back, well, it will if your tank is healthy.
But if your tank is plaqued with dieing corals, fish, algae blooms and the like I and those that do spend a great deal of itme raising aquacultured frags would probably rather you did buy from somewhere that sells corals that were collected in large numbers and given a long guarantee. That way ours can go to someone that knows how to care for them and they in turn can grow them out and pass them along.
I spend average 2 hours a day on my small collection of rics and zoas so I have no guilt about them at all.

mr_x

i agree with morphiii. just charge folks that want to sell something a sellers fee, and don't bother with all the rest. or maybe..you can sell 3 things before you start getting charged...something like that.
???
i don't mind that swf makes money. i would be glad to send them some each time i sell something. i'll just incorporate it in the cost, as long as it's reasonable.

I might buy from SWF if they ever had anything in stock. Everytime I look on the site it says Wish List. So if you stock up you won't have to worry about people out selling on this forum. Just my 2 pennies worth.

hotkrumba

I am done. I have bought things from SWF on and off and I have bought a few things on the classified, but it seems like everytime I get on this site it always has negativity. So I am done I will never log on this site ever again, I am removing it from my favorites and I will never again refer anyone to this site to purchace anything ever. ***********************************************************************************************************************. Good buy and good riddens SWF.

Anybody have any good ideas on how we can ban together and get things changed back? I appreciate the people who like the new system (though my smart comments may not always appear to agree), yet it is obvious that it is not working. There are a total of 4 items up for auction. I used to see 4 new items easily go up within an hour. And as predicted, it looks like we are losing people - even though the guy didn't have a high post count, it shows that newbs are even p'd over the auction style. Does anybody have any intelligent (emphasis on intelligent) and reasonable ideas that would get things back to the way they were???

rwp1202

in the interest of preserving he reef, i'd suggest that we all refer to other REEF keeping forums that are CENTRAL to our local communities. It is far healthier to the animals for a local trade vs. the shipping methods most of us subject our trades to on this board.
The advice on SWF.com, in my opinion, has always been more reliable as it is a smaller community. Lets use the board as our host intended and respect their rights to control their board...

rackyrane

I must admit I am saddened about this. I have bought things from SWF and will again. I have posted on several of the forums as well. I really enjoyed the classifieds because I could find corals there that I have no chance of getting locally. Our local reefing community is not active at all and in fact our reef club basically shut down. We have one SWF store here that doesn't carry high end stuff and has a limited selection of SPS and zoas. So I go to the net to get good stuff and I always come here first. I have met some great folks here and great sellers. Now, I have lost a great resource and will greatly miss buying here. I will continue to post and look at the forums because that was always the attraction for me. I also became a member here before the classified forum existed. Just my 2 cents worth.

mr_x

haha.. forgive me, but what you must be joking! you are not preserving reefs by keeping reef inhabitants. you are destroying reefs. i don't care how much aquaculturing you do. making the hobby look attractive to anyone, is destroying reefs.
BTW- i saw a study done and apparently, the locals of these areas (fiji, tonga, ..) tend to take better care of the reefs because they make their livelyhood from them. the reefs are better off when we buy wild colonies!
i'm under the impression you're not aquaculturing fish and inverts either.
also, don't go tying yourself to a coral collection boat hull just yet. the salt water hobby accounts foor such a small amount of reef depletion, that it's not even considered a threat. do a search on the destruction of the reefs. they don't even mention hobbiests.
if you really want to save the reefs, sell your car, buy a bicycle, and start growing your own food, so trucks don't have to deliver it to your supermarket.
sorry for getting off the topic. i will continue to post here too...selling thread or not.

keebler

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2821571
haha.. forgive me, but what you must be joking! you are not preserving reefs by keeping reef inhabitants. you are destroying reefs. i don't care how much aquaculturing you do. making the hobby look attractive to anyone, is destroying reefs.
BTW- i saw a study done and apparently, the locals of these areas (fiji, tonga, ..) tend to take better care of the reefs because they make their livelyhood from them. the reefs are better off when we buy wild colonies!
i'm under the impression you're not aquaculturing fish and inverts either.
also, don't go tying yourself to a coral collection boat hull just yet. the salt water hobby accounts foor such a small amount of reef depletion, that it's not even considered a threat. do a search on the destruction of the reefs. they don't even mention hobbiests.
if you really want to save the reefs, sell your car, buy a bicycle, and start growing your own food, so trucks don't have to deliver it to your supermarket.
sorry for getting off the topic. i will continue to post here too...selling thread or not.
So true, I hate it when people get on to me for "destroying" the reefs. Nice info X.