Saltwaterauctions.com

robertmathern

To be honest I think they should. E-bay dose and so dose paypal. As long as it is a fair deal they might as well make something to pay for this site. Especially somehow I doubt out of all the members on here selling and buying that most of them have even given swf bisness (man I need to learn to spell lol). So I agree the seller/buyer will just have to work out who pays the fee. I am sure it wont be much. Someone has to pay for a cool site like this. So it might as well be the people making money off of here.

crimzy

I think it's very unfortunate. Most of the forums that I have seen allow members to sell and trade livestock/goods. Looks to me like SWF.com just wants a piece of the pie. I'm sure those people who actively sell and trade here will just find another forum for that. Sorry guys... bad move.

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2814851
I think it's very unfortunate. Most of the forums that I have seen allow members to sell and trade livestock/goods. Looks to me like SWF.com just wants a piece of the pie. I'm sure those people who actively sell and trade here will just find another forum for that. Sorry guys... bad move.
+1 on that....

kholla12

+2
And you have to go back and forth between sites.
Bad move.

fishfreak1242

I agree. Although you can bid for items now instead of settling for a lower price.

taftech

I think it's a good move, personally. The bbs is far too prone to abuse by scammers, spammers, other businesses, etc. The fees seem pretty reasonable, and it ads alot of accountability. Sellers and buyers both will get a visible reputation (good or bad). The seller pays the fee, but really it is passed off to the buyer and I think most buyers would be willing to pay 5% + $1 extra if they know they are buying from a rupitable seller. Yes, sellers also get a reputation on the classifieds, but its much less transparent. Someone new to the hobby (like me) can't easily pick off a reputable seller, from a dead beat.

robertmathern

I like the idea if it keeps the site going. But I also think swf needs to step up there invintory i.e. pumps, filtration and stuff to make more money as well. They dont have much to offer people like me who are still reserching and buying equimpment. Execpt the messege boards. you guys are great.

taftech

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2814880
I love the idea of the site, but dont like the idea they have to get a percentage of it as well.
Everyone gets this notion that all internet services should be free. In reality, it is not cheap for them to develop, maintain, moderate, host, security audit, etc. Sure, they will get some amount of indirect business from the auction site. But for the service they provide, they deserve some sort of compensation. Sure, they could cover it with advertising and make some money that way instead. But they are not "google". There business model isn't "attract millions and make ad revenue". I'm not saying they won't make money on the site, they probably will (as long as enough people use it), and they certainly should if they can. They aren't a non profit organization. If I was in their shoes, I'd probably do the same thing (though charge a little less)
It won't be for everyone.
There are other auction sites for fish that are free (*****comes to mind, but it's mainly freshwater), and I commend the people who run them for being able to. I, being a programmer/web developer have tried running free sites, and 95% of the time, they just end up being cost prohibitive to operate.
Anyhow.. I hope the site takes off, and does well. I'd like to see a good saltwater auction site.
Just my 2 cents..

ynotme4886

I'll join my local reef club.....its less than $13 a year....they have group buys....no fees to sell and I don't need to deal with shipping or paypal.
I am not gonna use the new site....might as well use the other auction site at that point.

kevin34

whats the deal about you being able to list 10 items per auction but only 3 pictures? Do they really need to limit pictures?

1journeyman

Please continue to post constructive ideas and valid questions. Admin will look them over.
As for the other comments; Folks, Admin certainly didn't have to do this. The Selling forum has been a nightmare for the last several months. You cannot imagine the amount of reading, deleting, monitoring, account checking, etc. that was being dumped into that forum.
Admin, as a service to all of us members, produced a viable alternative. Use it or not, please do not complain about it. These forums are for information gathering and sharing. Making money by selling things really was just icing.
If you owned a retail business, would you allow the same few people to walk into your showroom and sell things every week???

natclanwy

I assume this means no more trading of livestock, and eliminates the ability of a seller to break up a frag pack for someone who only wants part of the pack, and with only four listings a month you can't offer a decent size mix of corals to buy to help offset the cost of shipping one coral. I have a difficult time paying $30 to ship one coral, I would much prefer to buy 4-6 corals from the same seller and pay $30 to ship.
Also can you have multiple quantities to sell on one listing? Like one listing for 10 Kenya trees and have the ability to sell to 10 different users?

ifirefight

Seems the first poster in the "new" area...just joined TODAY!
Yea, Im gonna buy stuff from this dude.
It is unfortunate a few people ruined this for the rest of us. Always somebody trying to make a buck at the cost of others.

Wouldn't it just have been easier to monitor the classifieds by simply adjusting the settings on the 2 catagories?
If buyers and sellers are local to each other, how is that going to work? Will there be a posting fee for people looking to buy? etc...