sand ? for FOWLR tank

cougar

I use an extremely fine sand. It does cause problems with filters and jets but is looks so much better. Also if you think you might ever go with a ray or shark it is necessary.

aw2x3

Die hard fan of QuikCrete medium sand, from Home Depot.
I've used it in every tank over the last 2 years and have always recommended it.
Instead of spending $40 on a 20lb bag of sand from the fish store, why not go to HD and buy the exact same stuff for $3, for a 50lb bag?

shawnlx86

Originally Posted by AW2x3
I've used it in every tank over the last 2 years and have always recommended it.
Instead of spending $40 on a 20lb bag of sand from the fish store, why not go to HD and buy the exact same stuff for $3, for a 50lb bag?
Dont you need an argonite based sand?

aw2x3

It's a mixture of the QuikCrete and more course argonite, that I was forced to buy. The HD, here, doesnt carry the sand and I didnt have enough...so, I had to buy some from the LFS
I'll rephrase my earlier statement...Other than this current tank, I've used it in every other tank I've ever had...everything from a 12gal. nano to my 200gal.

unleashed

you can use normal playsand but silicate sand has no buffering agents that arganite has i prefer the med grain arganite as it doesnt dust up as badly as the fine grain .i dunno about everyones elses oppinons about this is but for as much money we invest in the purchase of one single fish or coral it doesnt make sense to me to try and cut such corners just to have to add buffers ect more often which cost more in the long run .jmo

aw2x3

Using the QuikCrete, I do not add any sort of buffers to my tank.
My pH is always dead on and never fluctuates and even with a heavily stocked aggressive tank, my nitrates never exceed 10ppm and ammonia is never traceable.
I can understand people not wanting to cut corners, in order to make the best for their fish, but if you can get something at less than 1/3 of the price and it's the EXACT same thing, then why not?
Just my .2 cents.

gen1dustin

Using the QuikCrete, I do not add any sort of buffers to my tank.
My pH is always dead on and never fluctuates and even with a heavily stocked aggressive tank, my nitrates never exceed 10ppm and ammonia is never traceable.
I can understand people not wanting to cut corners, in order to make the best for their fish, but if you can get something at less than 1/3 of the price and it's the EXACT same thing, then why not?
Just my .2 cents.
I just wish we knew 100% that it is infact the exact same thing. I'm not flaming on you for using & thought hard about using it on my tank, but being my first marine tank I just wanted to play it extra safe. I've been into FW fish for 10+ years & on all the bords & everywheres people use play sand for their tanks so I couldn't see why not. They just say to rinse it in a bucket or in an old pillow case.

aw2x3

Play sand and QuikCrete are both silica based.
Playsand is usually brown but if you can find the hard to get Old Castle play sand, it's white...same with QuikCrete, it's white.
I'm not saying anyone has to use this sand...it's completely up to the person buying this stuff. I just wanted to be sure to let everyone know that there is an alternative out there.

tainte97

I used Homedepot Playsand in one of my tanks, about 200 lbs of it. I bought the brown king and for a month or so it looked very dark but after that I have no idea why but it lost the brown color and looked almost the sameasmyother tanks with the white fishstore bought sand. I spent $12 on sand for 200lbs and it looks the same as any tank that you would of spent $400 on sand at the fish store for. JMO

engineer

I actually called Quickcrete and they told me that the sand comes from the ocean and is washed screened and kiln dried.

blizz75

Which one is this play, all purpose, patio? or is it called medium?
Thanks

engineer

They have a white play sand that is very fine! Its in a clearish bag with a kid and stuff on it. Actually I was in there the other day and there was a huge display sitting outside under the oning and said it was on sale. I am sure HD is a HD is a HD(meaning if they have it hear, then they SHOULD have it elsewhere)!

aw2x3

Originally Posted by blizz75
Which one is this play, all purpose, patio? or is it called medium?
Thanks
I use the medium grain, white sand. It's in a brown and yellow paper bag.
Originally Posted by engineer

They have a white play sand that is very fine! Its in a clearish bag with a kid and stuff on it. Actually I was in there the other day and there was a huge display sitting outside under the oning and said it was on sale. I am sure HD is a HD is a HD(meaning if they have it hear, then they SHOULD have it elsewhere)!
Not necessarily...they had it at all the HD's in Chicago (where I've lived for the past 6 years). I just moved back to my hometown, in Southern IL and the HD here does not have it and they say they cant order it for me either...that's why I was forced to go back to using aragonite.