Sand question

robertmathern

I have a question about what type of sand to use in my tank. Alot of people are telling to save the money on live sand. But where do I get sand at. I did a google search on aragonite sand and all I got was pet stores selling live sand. Is play sand or pool sand ok to use. If not whats a good recomendation. The sand the lfs has is dry sand with some stuff to add to it bascially bacteria. For the price of 60 bucks for a 15 lb bag. It would be cheaper to buy some sand and then buy some bacteria to add into it. It least thats what the lfs said selling the sand
go figure that one I figured they would try to sell me the sand. But she did say she sees alot more money comming from me than that bag of sand though and she is probably right

bang guy

CARIBSEA Aragamax Oolitic Select Sand. You should be able to get it for less than $1 per pound.
A single piece of uncured live rock will populate this sand with all the basteria you need. After that all you need is a few pounds of real live sand to add the critters that will make the entire sand bed live.
Don't be fooled into thinking that bacteria is all that is needed for live sand. Some of the animals will migrate from live rock but the healthiest sandbeds regularly add a few pounds of real live sand.
This is real live sand ---> https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=7
The stuff you find in the store on the shelf is just plain sand with water and bacteria. It's a bad idea to spend all that money for water and bacteria.

rotarymagic

On a brand new tank, I typically go 50% established tank live sand and 50% caribsea aragonite sand and then stir it in the tanke so that the live stuff mixes around and seeds the other parts quicker...
I only keep about 1inch of water above the sand level so that I don't get too much cloudiness.