Sand Sifter

mryg15

Can someone post a picture of a sand sifter starfish for me? I think one came with our live rock but i cant get a picture of him to post.

cprdnick

Here's one. If it's just a little white star then that is a normal little hitch hiker, I dont remember what they call it.
Clint

cprdnick

Nah, I had to rob it from someone's site, I wouldn't be caught dead owning anything that sifts.
Sorry, it's not mine, but I'll take a pic for ya, I can't guarantee it'll be anything exciting, lol.
Clint

benj2112

Sand sifting stars sift through the sand looking for critters to eat. On many online stores they are sold to keep your sand clean. They do, but they will eat ALL the critters you want in your sand. Very bad for your tank in the long run!

harlequinnut

I have one in my 46 gallon reef tank. I bought it under the notion that it's going to clean my sand for me. Should I remove it now?

townsdp

As far as the small star that came on your lr, if it has 1 leg or two smaller than the rest and at least 6 legs, you don't want it. I found 10 so far off my 35lbs I bought from one store. I have heard those stars are parasitic to hard(stony) corals. Maybe someone has more info...
PS. my sand star is a workhorse, bad in the long run or not, he is active and cleans my 75g like nobody's business.

bang guy

Some asterina starfish are SPS predators, some are not. If you find them on your SPS them get rid of them.

benj2112

I would get rid of the sand sifter. I had one for a while (before I found this site) and it didn't take long for all the worm tunnels and the worms that were in them to disappear from the sand against the glass in my tank.