saying good bye

snakeblitz33

Bye bye plateman.

Sorry that you have to get out of the hobby. I did too,... but it will all work out in the long run. Priorities change over time mate. :D

snakeblitz33

SAME HERE! I agree... I got out of the physical side of the hobby for the same reason... too many factors where I live right now and too much money wasted to really enjoy the hobby. I hear yah!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I gave up my reef several yrs ago and have not had a tank since. I do miss it. I love the hobby, but it takes a good deal of dedication and money to make it work. Someday, I think I will do it again.

flower

What's a home without a fish tank? My fish tanks have always been a part of my home décor, as a living work of art.

Sorry you are going. Be smart and don't sell off all of your equipment yet... You won't get much for it in resale, and repurchasing everything AGAIN is really expensive. Put everything up for a year, and if after that time you still have no interest, sell it then. The rock can dry and stay in tubs, the rest will be just fine sitting in the garage. Rehome the fish, inverts and coral.

I have broken down my tanks plenty of times over the years, and after about 8 months I miss it, and then I repurchase everything I sold, and for much more then it cost the first time.

I couldn't rebuild my reef properly after my heater broke and electrocuted everything. To replace the coral I lost would cost around $1500.00...So instead, I keep seahorses and maintain water quality using macroalgae. It isn't expensive anymore, I buy frozen fish food and harvest the macros. A case of salt for $40.00 lasts over 6 months. My RO unit serves not only the fish tank, but makes better water for the household for drinking and cooking. By having the macros, I don't have to worry and make sure my TDS is 0, as long as it's under 10 it's good for the tanks and the household.

The hobby is only as expensive as you make it.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, it is only as expensive as you make it, sure...

I just like reef tanks - especially SPS dominated reef tanks. If I keep anything less at this point, I'm just not satisfied. But, it takes a LOT of money to do that, and since I just don't have it,... I decided to get out of the hobby until things improve.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396538/saying-good-bye#post_3533359
Yeah, it is only as expensive as you make it, sure...

I just like reef tanks - especially SPS dominated reef tanks. If I keep anything less at this point, I'm just not satisfied. But, it takes a LOT of money to do that, and since I just don't have it,... I decided to get out of the hobby until things improve.

It's true, you yourself made your own turf scrubber...which was a much cheaper route then other methods. You also can purchase frags instead of a big coral to start. Then there are reef clubs or friends, where you can swap frags and not pay anything for them.

I'm not talking about start up, that expense is unavoidable, but up-keep, and how you manage over time can be controlled. It isn't free...nothing is, but it doesn't have to be a money pit either.

I do stand by my advice to not get rid of everything right away, because start-up is always expensive.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you are keeping a fairly small uncomplicated tank AND are willing to say "NO MORE" then the budget does not bloat, but most enthusiast hobbyists are not going to stick to the bargain budget, and that's the truth. LOL

I probably sank at least 4k into my tank and equipment and it was a pretty basic system (72 gal). And I would not have said, "NO MORE". Circumstances was such that I moved and doing a lot of traveling. There just wasn't enough time or availability to set up again.

But, I do agree that a nice fish tank is the show of any home. No body stops by and awes at my nice flat-screen or my nice plants, however I could always count on my fish tank to awe and inspire.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396538/saying-good-bye#post_3533365
Unless you are keeping a fairly small uncomplicated tank AND are willing to say "NO MORE" then the budget does not bloat, but most enthusiast hobbyists are not going to stick to the bargain budget, and that's the truth. LOL

I probably sank at least 4k into my tank and equipment and it was a pretty basic system (72 gal). And I would not have said, "NO MORE". Circumstances was such that I moved and doing a lot of traveling. There just wasn't enough time or availability to set up again.

But, I do agree that a nice fish tank is the show of any home. No body stops by and awes at my nice flat-screen or my nice plants, however I could always count on my fish tank to awe and inspire.

LOL...We are a compulsive bunch aren't we....I always went as far as my budget could stretch, as long as the bills are paid and there is food in the fridge, the rest was my budget for the tank.

mr llimpid

This why I have fish, fish are why I got into this hobby, so I keep fish. A fish only tank is the cheapest way to go. The only equipment you need is a heater, pumps and a light (not even a fish type fixture required). Filtration can be a wet/dry or canister. The only expense is salt mix for water change and food. Total expense for the year about $400 included replacing 1 piece of equipment a year.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone remain in the hobby for a long time and not branch out from the FO? Most could not.

2quills

thanks but tired of spending $ and getting nothing in return
It is a bummer when things turn non reciprocal.

snakeblitz33

To some people, even $400 a year is a lot of money. But, how often do you buy a new fish, how often does an old fish die? Some people spend a couple thousand on fish before they figure out how to keep them alive. Trust me, I know. Not talking about you, Mr. Limpid. (respect!)

My freshwater planted tank is taking up too much of my money now too... I pay about $40 a month in electricity cost, $10 a month in food, $10 a month in ferts, $12 a year in CO2, $20 a month in plants. $20 a month in fish. To maintain my RO/DI unit filters, it costs $500 a year... Total that up and it's... $1712 a year and that is if nothing breaks! I admit, however, that the RO unit is not just for the tank either... but that is still a lot of money.

Yep, the tank's gotta go.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396538/saying-good-bye#post_3533434
To some people, even $400 a year is a lot of money. But, how often do you buy a new fish, how often does an old fish die? Some people spend a couple thousand on fish before they figure out how to keep them alive. Trust me, I know. Not talking about you, Mr. Limpid. (respect!)

My freshwater planted tank is taking up too much of my money now too... I pay about $40 a month in electricity cost, $10 a month in food, $10 a month in ferts, $12 a year in CO2, $20 a month in plants. $20 a month in fish. To maintain my RO/DI unit filters, it costs $500 a year... Total that up and it's... $1712 a year and that is if nothing breaks! I admit, however, that the RO unit is not just for the tank either... but that is still a lot of money.

What's a ferts?

When I had my reef, I kept a ledger through the year, just to see what I actually did spend on the tank. I did not count the electricity, just any equipment, supplements, test kits, critters (shrimp, fish, corals and such), and food.

By October.....LOL...I destroyed the evidence before my husband could see it. $2000.00+ and the year wasn't even over. Even if I didn't count the new MH unit that I upgraded to, which only needed to be purchased once, the amount I spent was outrageous on a reef tank. Then the heater broke, killing almost every thing. I lost about $1500.00 worth of corals.

Even my 2 seahorse tanks, which is basically FOWLR ... Each Potbelly horse (plus shipping costs) cost me around $145.00 each and I purchased 6 (1 died, have 5 now) , the 4 Kuda horses (1 disappeared, have 3 now) cost approximately $100.00 each. $1,270.00 just for them....However, that's the cost of the original set up ... which is ALWAYS expensive.

I spend approximately $35.00 a month on frozen Mysis shrimp. Every 7 months I have to purchase salt mix for about $40.00 to $50.00...That's it, and it cost me almost, but not quite $500.00 a year, even counting the test kits. Divide $500.00 by 12 = $41.00 a month....I spend more then that just going out to dinner with my mother.

PS
I have well water, the RO unit would be needed, fish tanks or not, so I didn't count it in.

snakeblitz33

Ferts - fertilizer and soluble micronutrients not supplied by water changes.
I count in the cost of running an RO unit in my area,... now that I don't take care of a salt tank, I wouldn't have to spend but less than a hundred on changing sediment filters and catalytic carbon twice a year. I'm not worried about DI resin. But,... still... it all adds up if I were to do it the right way.
I guess you sometimes just have to step back and make priorities. Find out what really matters to you, set a goal and set some objectives to meet that goal... eliminate expenses that keep you from reaching your goals... I saw that my fish tank was costing too much money that could go towards other things... including down payments on land, house and other business and education oriented goals.
Now, when I reach my goals and feel comfortable setting up a new tank and spending some more money, then I'll go for it. I hope to secure funding for a small reef club program at the school that I teach at. We will see how that goes...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/396538/saying-good-bye#post_3533437
When I had my reef, I kept a ledger through the year, just to see what I actually did spend on the tank. I did not count the electricity, just any equipment, supplements, test kits, critters (shrimp, fish, corals and such), and food.

By October.....LOL...I destroyed the evidence before my husband could see it. $2000.00+ and the year wasn't even over. Even if I didn't count the new MH unit that I upgraded to, which only needed to be purchased once, the amount I spent was outrageous on a reef tank. Then the heater broke, killing almost every thing. I lost about $1500.00 worth of corals.

Even my 2 seahorse tanks, which is basically FOWLR ... Each Potbelly horse (plus shipping costs) cost me around $145.00 each and I purchased 6 (1 died, have 5 now) , the 4 Kuda horses (1 disappeared, have 3 now) cost approximately $100.00 each. $1,270.00 just for them....However, that's the cost of the original set up ... which is ALWAYS expensive.

I spend approximately $35.00 a month on frozen Mysis shrimp. Every 7 months I have to purchase salt mix for about $40.00 to $50.00...That's it, and it cost me almost, but not quite $500.00 a year, even counting the test kits. Divide $500.00 by 12 = $41.00 a month....I spend more then that just going out to dinner with my mother.

PS
I have well water, the RO unit would be needed, fish tanks or not, so I didn't count it in.
My point is made.

Few hobbyists can stop spending in this hobby. Not because they have to, but because they want to.

If you feel you get nothing out of it, then fish tanks are not for you.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396538/saying-good-bye#post_3533448
My point is made.

Few hobbyists can stop spending in this hobby. Not because they have to, but because they want to.

If you feel you get nothing out of it, then fish tanks are not for you.

:D If I don't have the money to spend on a fish tank, (equipment, livestock, etc.) what's the point in having a fish tank?

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396538/saying-good-bye#post_3533434

Believe me I spent the money. In the beginning I was flushing a fish every 1 to 2 weeks. But back then we didn't have these sites to learn from others. We just had the LFS wanting to sell us as many fish as we could afford. I was told that an emperor angle would do fine in a 30gal tank that already had a clown, blue devil, domino and a yellow tang in it already.