scallops

bang guy

They release either eggs or sperm into the water column. They mix, eggs are fertilized and the larvae soon hatch. The larvae swim around for week to months and then settle.

bang guy

If you're talking about the File Clams commonly called Electric and/or Flame Scallops then it really doesn'y matter. It takes about 6 - 9 months for them to starve to death. If you can see the back of your tank then there's not enough food for them and they will starve within 6 - 9 months.

saltyshark

Sadly it's true :( They just don't do well in captivity. I haven't heard of anyone keeping them for longer than 9 months. I adopted mine from my LFS. It was behind a rock in the LR tank. They guy I talked to didn't know what it was. I asked him what he was feeding it. And he said "nothing, you don't need to feed them. They scavenge." So I bought it thinking I was doing it a favor, but now that I think about it...I may just be extending it's slow decline.
BTW: BangGuy, is there any difference between red and white tenticles? Is it an indication of something...age? health? origin?
Thanks
SaltyShark

saltyshark

Well...no need to go throw it in the garbage or anything, it is just rare to keep them alive for very long.
It is hard to give them proper care when no one can keep one around for long enough to find out their needs. The only things I could recommend is feeding phyto...feeding a lot...and feeding often, but don't overfeed ;) Keep your water parameters in check, and make sure nothing is stressing it out. I also spot feed mine with a turkey baster. So he gets some of DT's concentrate before it has a chance to mix with the water.
HTH
SaltyShark

goldrush

Wouldn't you know it? Here's the exception to the rule. About a year and a half ago I purchased a flame scallop. After 3 months it was gone. I assumed I had a scallop shell somewhere behind my live rock. Three months ago(1 year later),there it was one morning,under an overhang,in clear view.It is as beautiful and as healthy as can be.Obviously,not even knowing it was alive,I fed it nothing special. The only conclusion I can draw is that maybe everyone tries too hard and if left alone with perfect water conditions they will take care of themselves. From what I have been reading maybe I should submit this to the Guiness Book of Records?

ophiura

Most longer term success, IMO, is in 'dirtier' skimmerless type systems. But things like brine shrimp are generally too large for flame scallops, etc. I have read a recent good article on flame scallops and now can't remember where. It might have been written by Rob Toonen...so a google search with Rob Toonen and flame scallop my turn up something. Went into a lot of feeding, etc.