Schooling Fish

gmford1979

i am looking to get some schooling fish. i know that the green chromis' will school, but other than that, what are some good aquarium schooling fish??

florida joe

I have also seen pictures of a large school of Banggai but that was in the open ocean. Think tank size will play an important part in the home aquarium. I hope bang guy joins in

al&burke

Joe if I recall you had a picture of a Baggai cardinal that had red on the tips of its fins - I still remember that picture. Size of the tank probably has a lot to do with it - comfort and survival my friend.

btldreef

PJ Cardinals are better schoolers than Banggai's.
Chromis school when they're young, or in very large tanks. After they start to mature, they do tend to pick each other off. I've seen Banggai's do the same thing. (Hopefully Bang Guy will chime in)
Anthias
Chromis
Flasher wrasses (must be added at the same time, 1 male and multiple females)
Firefish will sometimes school together.

spanko

Schooling is different that shoaling. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoaling_and_schooling
here is a quote about trying to attain either
"The problem with shoaling fish in the saltwater aquarium is that certain species that shoal in the wild will fight to the death if placed in anything but the largest public aquarium. Yellow tangs are a good example. This most common of saltwater aquarium fish shoals in large numbers in the wild, but more than one adult in a home saltwater aquarium can cause serious problems. Therefore it is not advisable to try to recreate that shoal of fish you saw on your recent dive or in that picture of a natural reef without first doing a little more research."

sparty059

I have PJ's and I will tell you they rarely school. I have five of them (poor choice of numbers on my part) and IF they ever school together it's with four and they bully the fifth one out. However, they typically pair off and the pairs stay away from each other, while the single just mingles around until one of the pairs accept him.

gmford1979

i was thinking about the pj's. and i know that some antheias school. i wonder if the tank size matters. i just have a 55 gallon, but only 2 fish, a false perc and a tomato clown. so i want to add a few fish. all my friends love my corals, but want to know where all the fish are in the fish tank. ha ha. i guess i'm gonna have to find something. just would like to watch some schools.

sparty059

Don't get me wrong. The PJ's are very nice to look at. Their patterns are a big hit when people come over and look at my tank. They'll talk about how they love that they have three different types of patterns on their body and their eyes are so big. I'd recommend them, I just wouldn't be disappointed if they don't school.

meowzer

Both my pj's, and my chromies stay together most of the time.....oh every so often one strays....but not for long

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/383545/schooling-fish#post_3355479
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/thread/383545/schooling-fish#post_3355345
Here you go my friend you can still see some of the red on the edge of his fins
Thanks Joe that's the one, your other shot was better my friend - but I'll take this one. Have you ever bred these guys?
No and not that I have not tried it’s just that it’s hard to get them to stay still and at my age I just can’t chase them around the tank