Scored on a Yellow Figi Leather!

mrdc

Yep, locally is best because it has to be shipped overnight in order to stay cold. My LFS carries about every food under the sun. Where are you located Stan?

T

thomas712

I had to go 21 miles to a different town to get mine. About all you can do is request the LFS to get some, as long as they don't jack the price up on you. If your LFS gets DT's phytoplankton then they should be able to get he oyster eggs too. Also interesting note is that I've noticed my ricordia mushrooms perking way up over the last few days of feeding the oyster eggs.
Ha! I never did add a pic of my yellow sarc, I'll have to take one today if its perky!

mrdc

Thomas do you only shut off the protein skiimer when you add the oyster eggs? I do but I don't remove my filter media. Also how often do you add the eggs?

T

thomas712

I have used the 1/5 tsp measure a couple days in a row, then gave it a rest..and I didn't turn the skimmer off. Then after a day off I give it another couple of days in a row. Still haven't found a routine yet, just experimenting.

mrdc

Thanks, me too. I have been adding two 1/4 teaspoons every 3 days. I also add marine snow but will be switching to DT plankton when my store gets some more in.

nanahugs

SMoney, your yellow Leather is beautiful. I went to my LFS today and the owner told me he could order a small one for me and it would cost $49.95. You really got a good deal. Did yours come attached to a piece of rock? Do you spot feed these with a turkey baster?

speg

I keep my mother colony and any frags of it as high as I can in both of my tanks. The mother colony is under 2 96 watt pcs, and the frags are under 4 65 watt pcs.
I only feed cyclop-eeze and some other smaller zooplankton.
They are both in pretty high current locations too.
I wont tell you about how I got mine for 27 bucks though... =c)

pyro

Speg... I notice that your power head is only about what appears to be 6" from the coral. Is this correct? What size/brand is that powerhead? If I put one that close to my leathers or any of my corals, it would shred them to bits I would think. My leather is (currently in not such a good condition) a finger leather though, could make a difference.
Thanks

speg

No no.. its hard to tell the distance that one is from the leather but its more like a foot or more.. but that one is actually sucking water in and pumping it through my skimmer (AquaC). The one that is blowing directly onto it is about 2 1/2 feet from the leather (and you cant see that one).

pyro

Ohhhh, that clears things up a lot. I was like, jeez, no wonder those corals look amazing, I've been doing that whole flow thing majorly wrong. If you wouldn't mind, could you check out my rotten leather thread? It's in its last stretch and trying to make any last minute saves. Thanks =).

coralph

I have had my yellow leather for almost two years now. I got it at a frag swap for $15. It had two heads on it and both are doing great.Iam crowding them too much at the moment with other leathers.