SeaClone 100

shoorty069

Okay, i FINALLY got my protein skimmer. I set it up according to directions and...nothing, the water spins in the tube like a tornado. Theres a couple bubbles floating around in there. However, i dont seen any foam whatsoever. It says it could take up to 3 days to see anything in the canister. Is that normal? Did i make a bad decision on a protein skimmer?
<3ryry

J

jcrim

You should definitely have more than a couple bubbles. There should be a valve to allow for more air to flow through the power head. I have a Sea Clone skimmer and think it works okay.

shoorty069

I just moved the air valve, now theres ALOT of bubbles in there. Still nothing going up into the chamber for all the bad stuff to go...how long did yours take to start working? Mines been on and running since 6pm today, and its 10pm now.
<3ryry

ryan115

how old is your tank? IF you just set it up, there probably wont me many DOC's (Disolved Organic Compounds) for it to pull out of the water.

J

jcrim

Originally Posted by Shoorty069
I just moved the air valve, now theres ALOT of bubbles in there. Still nothing going up into the chamber for all the bad stuff to go...how long did yours take to start working? Mines been on and running since 6pm today, and its 10pm now.
If your air is now flowing properly, I would give it through the night to see if foam starts. The amount of foam also depends on your tank's water quality. IME skimmers tend to work better the more established they are.

shoorty069

Its been running since easter, so lets see, almost 6 months now. Is that enough time to actually have something coming up into the protein skimmer?
<3ryry

dr. evil

is that right seaclones are good i,ve read that they are crappy, im not saying they are but thats what i,ve read on different sites so i am reluctant to buy one but if they are good skimmers thats cool because its definitly in within my budget

brolik1

I have a seaclone 100 in my 20 gallon and I only have 4 months with it and it works great.It started forming foam in the collection cup 4 days after I put it in.

mister t

shooty open the valve all the way, and you will get an air pocket in the input tube, you should slowly close the valve until the air pocket is gone then the skimmer is set

dr. evil

wait first you said it was running for 4hrs. then you say its been running for 6mos. did i miss something ?

bigb

Shoorty69- you will have to play with the valve, you want a smooth tornado in the main tube. The bubbles will start to rise into the collection cupin about a day or 2, it shouldn't take more than four days to "break the skimmer in" if it hasn't started collecting by then you should readjust the air flow, starting with it completely closed and opening the adjustment screw about 3/4 to one full turn.
Dr. Evil- save your money and invest in a better skimmer. Sea-clones will work, but they take alot of tweaking and constant maintenance. They are poorly built and too much movement one way or the other on them at all will cause a leak in the j-tube and small plastic pieces that are essential to holding the connections together break off way too easily. (sorry if you read this far shoorty69, just be careful when cleaning and moving your skimmer you will probably be upgrading soon but make it work while you can.)

fishntx

i found it best to place it in the sump and not use the j tube. although it isnt the best you can get it to work it will just take a little more ajusting to get it right but it will work.

bigb

Originally Posted by fishntx
i found it best to place it in the sump and not use the j tube. although it isnt the best you can get it to work it will just take a little more ajusting to get it right but it will work.
I forgot about that option, when I had mine I used it HOB.

chipmaker

So not knowing actually how ling its been in use, Its not uncommon for a skimmer to take a bit of time to get going right and if its not got a loarge load of DOC aaits not gonna pull much.......Seaclones can be a pain in the butt to get adjusted and working properly, and they do not have a great following, however I have seen em in use and they do what they were designed to do. I really think they have the ability to work if foks have the ability to tinker and adjust them properly. There are some mods out on other forums that are supposedly supposed to eliminate a plot of the problems normally encountered with seaclones........

correfe

I have a skimmer for 2 days and it has already collected "garbage" in the collection cup.
The only problem that i had which has now been fixed, were the stupid air bubbles that i was getting back into the tank. This was a quick fix by adding an"overflow box" with some floss in it, which helps trap the air bubbles. This box cost me $10.00 CDN at a local saltwater fish store.
I have attached some pics to help visualize the unit.

heddy

where did you find that weird box attachment? i have the seaclone 100 and it works great by the way.... i don't find it needs very much attention at all, but after reading everyone's posts about it i probably "tweak" it way more than i need to.... anyway... the box helps eliminate those tiny bubbles? is that right? thanks for the pix, really helps to know what you are talking about!
:joy: :happyfish
oh, if you want to see your skimmer really "work" add some stresszyme to your tank! makes the skimmer go crazy!!!

correfe

Hi Heddy,
I got this box at a local fish store here in Toronto.
This thing works great. NO BUBBLES at all. just the way i like it.

F

franciee

Have you cleaned you skimmer yet? My tank is new lots of brown alge what a mess any cleaning ideas.