Seaclone vrs Prism

jedimaster

Whicth would you recomend and why? Do have one or know someone who has had either? I have heard good things about both of them.

ebeckels

hmm...maybe I had the older one??? or maybe I just drank too much last night? j/k (didn't drink) I should say, my seaclone (which I only had for a week) was much quieter than my prizm. I could be completely wrong about the seaclone cup and I might be thinking about another skimmer.

fishfreek

If you are thinking of putting eighter one of these on a 90g, i wouldn't!! I have a prizm and would put it maybe on a 55g, max. They are rated for a 90g tank, but like i said, I wouldn't personally put one on anything larger than a 55g unless you want to "lightly" skim your water. Don't get me wrong, i think this skimmer does a great job on my 45g (lots of brown crap in the collection cup :) ) just seems to work better on smaller tanks. HTH

dathem

Hello,
I have the new Prism,it was a little confusing at first regarding how to set it up and getting it to work. It took about 3 days to start to see brown stuff form in the cup. Now it works great with no effort on my part on my 75 gal tank. A great skimmer, just the instructions are less then perfect IMHO anyway.

jedimaster

I was wondering about the size of the skimmer and weather it will be big enough, does anyone here use a DIY model? I would be interested in hearing how they work. I was looking at a berlin XL at the LFS today and it doesn't look very complicated to make, it seems to me like a trip to HD with about 25 bucks should just about do it.

dirtybilge

Buy a Berlin there great, I don't think either skimmer seaclone or prizm is good for a 90 unless you have few fish.

twoods71

I have a seaclone and am very happy with it. I agree with a couple posts above however in that I dont think I would use it on a 90.
For the DIY skimmer go to the equipment section and do a search. There has been some info on this in the past.

drkegel

I had a Prizm on my 55, and I personally think it was too small for that tank! It was a good skimmer, IMO, if not a little loud, but would do much better on a tank that was smaller.

R

rolltide

I have a seaclone but it's hard to adjust the airflow just righ, IMO. If someone knows the best way to determine how much foam you should get let me know.

jester

I have a Seaclone and it works great. There are some very easy mods you can do to boost performance greatly. It's quiet, very effictive and with the mods I think it will be ok for a 90ga.

marek

well... between the two I WOULD ONLY GET THE PRIZM! I HAVE IT, COLLECTS NICELY, VERY LARGE COLLECTION CUP. INCLUDEDS ITS OWN MOTOR/PUMP.

reefnjeff

I use a seaclone periodically in my reef and it also has a Lg collection cup, it's own pump and as mentioned earlier with a slight modifaction it improves the seaclones peformance greatly, most the time I use it's pump which is very powerful to make currant, but when I put on the skimmer it skims like hell.

mini-reefer

I've done two mods to my seaclone and still dont like it! My 34 gallon reef always has a film on the water no matter what I do. As far as the mods go just look around online. It seems everyone knows they dont work as they come from the factory.
I recently bought a Berlin online for my new 72 gallon and cant wait to get it.
Mini-Reefer

cyn

I have a seaclone that I just replaced with a backpac. I like the backpac alot better. Drier foam, less noise and easier maintance. I also had alot of trouble with the seaclone pouring bubbles into my tank, I never could seem to get it adjusted right. I did shorten the inner tube and raised the intake to almost the surface of the water without good results.
I don't know anything about the prism, but they both do not seem to be the right choice for a 90 gal.
My .02 cents!
cyn

st3

Go with the PRIZM its mint and we all know it. its the latest and is perfect for a 90 gallon. i have a 90 gallon and it works wicked. Ajusting the intake valve the first tme is confusing but once u got er goin its a sweet machine. dont be cheap with your fish, spenf the extra cash and invest in a quality skimmer man. :D

jakob4001

LOL.. have the seaclone... WORKS GREAT DIRECT FROM THE FACTORY!!! is QUIET...we use it on the 135; of course will depend on bioload & filtration used; but we have a shark & niger trigger in there; some LR;eheim cannister; but those 2 on the low end cost for venturi skimmers w/ pump/motor

jond

I have had great success with my Seaclone without any mods. I had a Prizm first, and although I am sure they work very well, they make much more noise than the Seaclone.