Seahorse Compatibility Chart

sweetlipsa_d

By no means do I mean to question the experts but im wondering why a clown fish is such a threat to the Seahorses, or Yellow tangs? Just curious Also the bi-valves? My other question would be what do you mean by "or should not be kept in captive systems due to failure to thrive."
But I really appreciate this chart it will help me with other things we were wanting to get. Right now we are going to concentrate on more Live Rock.

novahobbies

Clownfish are members of the damsel family, and because of this they are actually quite territorial! They will pester a seahorse and stress the horse out, and most often outcompete the horse for food. The only clownfish that is considered somewhat safe in a seahorse-centered community aquarium is the ocelaris clown, also know as a false percula clown. This fish is more docile than the other clownfish, and a slightly slower feeder.
Tangs......well, pretty much the same story! Too much tank presence, they are fast swimmers that have a habit of darting from one end of the tank to the other, and they are agressive feeders, esp. compared to horses.

sweetlipsa_d

ok we will watch the clowns then. so far they seem to leave him alone and the seahorse is defiantly a pig when eating LOL he seems to be getting plenty and we dumped a bag of copepods in today also. Ok so why do they think that the clams and flame scallops are bad for the seahorse? we really want to make sure we take care of him. he seems pretty happy so far as it drifts around the tank and has two favorite corners so far and one favorite piece of colt coral. We want to find some of the giorgian (sp) for him to hold onto. thanks everyone for all their help

novahobbies

Originally Posted by sweetlipsa_d
http:///forum/post/2808720
ok we will watch the clowns then. so far they seem to leave him alone and the seahorse is defiantly a pig when eating LOL he seems to be getting plenty and we dumped a bag of copepods in today also. Ok so why do they think that the clams and flame scallops are bad for the seahorse? we really want to make sure we take care of him. he seems pretty happy so far as it drifts around the tank and has two favorite corners so far and one favorite piece of colt coral. We want to find some of the giorgian (sp) for him to hold onto. thanks everyone for all their help

The clams, esecially giant clam species, are potentially problematic because they run the chance of closing down on the horses tail.
Remember, Seahorses are very slow moving animals (at least, most of the time.) They have a tendency to move from hitching post to hitching post. If the horse decides to wrap his tail around a croacea or other giant clam species, the clam might get disturbed and close up...thus trapping and possibly crushing the horse's tail! This may sound outlandish, but it HAS happened.
Regarding scallops, I honestly don't know. Perhaps someone else on the boards knows why, but I'm not sure!

burch2006

could you also add boxfish to that list as a 1 or 2. I know several people that have them in their tanks with seahorses.

cranberry

We don't agree with keeping boxfish with seahorses as they are grazers and seahorses are prone to algae.

sueandherzoo

Maybe YOU can help me! Can you check out the blenny I just posted in the Fish section and tell me if you think he's horse safe or not? He's about done acclimating and I'm not sure what tank to let him live in after QT. Thanks in advance!
Sue

dingus890

I don't think Blennies safe with horses. I got a blenny for the tank I used to have my horse in and he is very active most of the time and would compete for food.
I think all the movement would scare the horses also.
I would suggest putting him in another tank Sue

sueandherzoo

Thanks for your thoughts -- after watching him for several hours I agree with you. He will go in the 55 gallon with tons of rockwork rather than in the 46 gallon with the equines. Lord knows they are slow and deliberate enough about studying each particle of food before finally sucking it in -- they don't need any distractions or competition!

dingus890

HAHA...I know right. When I had my horse she would watch a piece of food for so long making sure it's worthy..lol..and finally try to snick at it and my black and white clown would get it.
She got so mad at him she flicked her head at the clown and hit him (something I have read seahorses do as a form of aggression)
I thought it was funny this dainty little horse fed up and mad....lol
She went on her way though and found more food.
I miss her.
But blennies are great they have such personality.I love that their eyes move like seahorses as it reminds me of my horse.