Seahorse Full Tank Shots! Post 'Em!

spanko

Oh my gosh Renee, another tank where the trimming of macro algae must be a full time job. Don't have time for anything else with your algae mowing duties do you???
What's the new avatar by the way?

cranberry

Originally Posted by Rykna
http:///forum/post/2805963
More PICS!!!!

Is that a bird's nest coral? The little pink branched coral on the bottom right.
Don't encourage me... LOL...
This is a coral free tank and that is actually a macro. It's called Galaxaura rugosa is a semi-rigid dome shaped macro. It maintains the same shape even out of the water and you can snap the little "fronds" off if you aren't careful. It's GREAT for seahorse tanks because it requires little light (I only have 96 watts over this tank and it's tall so not as much light reaches the bottom effectively). Snails won't eat it and it's not invasive. The seahorses spend half their day with their snouts stuck in there hoping a pod will come out far enough to catch. The place that carries it periodically is presently out of stock. If anyone would like me to see if they have any, just PM me. This is
a macro I will be able to share in the future (unlike some of the greens I won't speak of) along with red grape, Laurencia poitei (that is also in the picture with the "Galaxy" macro), and a couple other reds that are new and took a hit in acclimination... but I expect them to come around. I also have codium.....
Maybe this pic shows it a little more...... you can kind of tell how much it grew in the last month.

cranberry

In most circumstances I would not. Since I made the switch from WCs to CBs, I've only ever mixed one other time. And that wasn't even a mix of species but a mix of sources. And it STILL came out bad. After that I never mixed any horse that didn't come from the same shipment. At one point I had like 3 tanks of erectus because they were from different sources. When I kept multiple species of WCs I did so without knowing the risks because there were no forums. I lost a lot of horses along the way. Now these guys are CB from the same source. How I came to get them was very stressful on them and if they weren't nice sturdy stock they would have died..... so I know their healthy (not just healthy looking, if that makes sense). I also had them in QT since March? May? When was IMAC? They were species specific QT tanks. I have one with reidi. Another with Erectus and another with Barbouri. So that's a few months of QT and observing. And I have NO idea if this even does absolutely anything... but I expose them to each others water in small doses. It's just something I do. That's not written or proven anywhere.
So, I have no idea if this will work for me..... we say at least once a week "I hope this works".... it's not a nice feeling. But oh the joy when I watch them "play".
I don't know if the barbs will go in.... they are too slow. The erectus and the reidi are freaks and will out compete the barbs in no time.

novahobbies

I have erectus and reidi together in the same tank, but OTOH I know that they were all captive bred and came from the same supplier. My feeling on mixing species is slightly different than Ms. Cran Berry's, but I would caution anyone who is just starting ouut to stick with just one species.
Different horses have different feeding habits, and you have to be prepared for that. For instance, my reidis stay closer to the bottom half of the tank, and spend most of their time hunting pods from the rockwork. When feeding time comes, they prefeer their food to be presented down in their feed bowl, so they can hitch near the bottom and enjoy their meal. The H. erectus I have with them, however, is very active, usually around the top half of the tank and in the flow of the powerhead. She doesn't seem to care for hunting tiny food items in the least; she prefers to be fed her frozen mysis in the water column so she can hunt them down, and she goes absolutely nuts when I give them a treat of live feeder shrimp or live brine. Her method of hunting is definitely focused in the water column, not the seafloor.
So I think as long as you know that the horses came from the same supplier, and you're prepared to take action to make sure everyone gets fed, then yes, I believe you can mix SOME species. You should never ever, however, (ooh! end alliteration!) mix WC seahorses with anything else. Too many chances for parasitic infections to spread, and CB seahorses lack some of the natural defenses WC horses have in that department!

novahobbies

NICE! I love the tank, and I bet the horses will too. I know there are some issues with corner tanks regarding flow and lighting, but their looks really make it worth the effort!
Only thing I noticed (and maybe I was seeing things)..... is that a giant clam in the middle on the live rock?

meowzer

I don't have any clams...I have mushrooms, zoos, polyps, colt coral, gorgonians, I;m not sure what you saw. I'll get better at pics (or get a better camera)

novahobbies

LOL my bad.....I think it's a couple red/purple shrooms I mistook for a clam mantle. It's in the middle of the rock on the third pic. Don't mind me, I'm a little zonked tonight!

meowzer

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2809243
LOL my bad.....I think it's a couple red/purple shrooms I mistook for a clam mantle. It's in the middle of the rock on the third pic. Don't mind me, I'm a little zonked tonight!

Yep that's the mushrooms...lol....Well it is morning and my horses can arrive anytime between now and 5 p.m.
I'm so nervous