Seahorse poop...lol

meowzer

OK, this is going to sound dumb...lol...but what does seahorse poop look like....I have this long yellowish stringy stuff that I did not have before the seahorses came. Just trying to see if it is something normal.

dingus890

LOL....yes that is seahorse poop. I was suprised at how big and how much they "go to the bathroom" after I got my horse.

spanko

Seems I read that they have no digestive system, what goes in pretty much comes right back out. So yours must have eaten something!!!!

dingus890

They have no stomach so they are continually eating to absorb nutrients.Continually eating means lots of pooping...lol

cranberry

Seahorses that have stringy poop have either not been eating well (and you just got your, didn't you?) or they have gut parasites.
Normal poop to the left... abnormal poop to the right.

meowzer

I have had them one week today...you say the pic on the right is normal too??? I have seen some look like that on the right, and some looks stringy cause it gets stuck on something. The first 2 pics are what is hanging from a gorgonian and duster...couldn't find any laying on a rock like your pic today, there was some last night that looked like that tho. The other pics are what the horses look like now. The yellow one is still all yellow, and the other (hard to see now) is almost all black.
How do I know for sure if they are ok? They eat all the time, and look okay (IMO) but I am NOOOO expert at all.

cranberry

Sorry... I edited my post. The one to the right is abnormal. That is not seahorse poop that you are seeing in those pics.

meowzer

Hmmm so what can it be? And then is there something wrong with my horses? I do not have a camera that is very good, but can you tell if my horses look ok from the pics I posted?

meowzer

Hey...it's feather duster poop...lol....I just saw some more coming from the duster...how weird.

dingus890

By the look of your seahorses meowzer, I think you have a boy and a girl.
The girl looks to be the darker one.And the boy the bright yellow one.
My horse just died.Just enjoy your horses for as long or as little as you have them.Try not to worry.

meowzer

I'm so sorry about your horse, I know I have only had mine a week, and for this week most of it has been with worry (probably not needed) Do you plan on getting another one.

dingus890

I am not sure.I may get some more horses in the future.They are so hard to lose I am not sure I can take losing one again...lol.I love having horses though they such a joy to watch and take care of.
If I do get horses again I would start a 50 gallon tank and have a few pairs.