seahorse vs coral

sharkboy13

well i have a conflicting issue, yesterday my grandma came home w/ a present, i figured it was money until she pulled out a plastic bag w/ a seahorse, i tried to explain how the tank that was safest didnt meet their basic needs but she didnt understand and besides "it was on sale!" i called the lfs she got it from and they wouldnt take it back, so now im stuck w/ what i think is a black seahorse, hippocampus kuda the only tank that i have that is "safest" is my 35 hex but the prob is that it has corals that need medium flow, so unless i can somehow kind of dampen the flow to have it enough for the seahorse and the corals im in a pickle. any suggestions on how to do?

firefish9

if you get fid of it I'm first in line. Got some 25 reef plugs and frags pretty soon I'll do anything for that little guy. :jumping:

teresaq

35 hex should be fine for him. as long as the corals dont sting they are fine. check seahorse dot org

poniegirl

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
35 hex should be fine for him. as long as the corals dont sting they are fine. check seahorse dot org
I agree. It will be beneficial if you can keep the tank no warmer than 78F.
Also, if you can break up that flow, it will be better for the horse.
Be sure to feed frozen mysis, not brine (assuming he/she will accept frozen food).
What kind of substrate does the 35 have?

teresaq

Also try a hydro flow on your power heads. It will cut flow and still give your corals what they need. also, is the horse cb or wc. if wild caught it will have special needs you will need to take care of. check seahorse dot org.

ci11337

Your lil preasent will be fine in the reef as long as there are no stinging LPS corals and no really agressive fish. place a hitching post (I'd use some kind of caulpra) in a low flow zone. As long as there is a decent section of the tank with low flow your pony will do well. Good Luck!!!
:happyfish

whylde

They say that the seahorses don't like flow, mine love it! As long as it has someplace to hold on and preferably someplace to hide, you're cool. (I recommend PE mysis as feed, they love it.)

lomar

I have mine in my 75 gallon reef. I do not have any problems with him. Here are some pictures they are low quality. I hope to get some better ones later.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by lomar
I have mine in my 75 gallon reef. I do not have any problems with him. Here are some pictures they are low quality. I hope to get some better ones later.
Lomar, you say him, Is that as in ONE him? I see a yellow and a black..they aren't just one, are they?

lomar

It is the same seahorse. He was yellow when I got him. A couple of weeks later he turned black.

poniegirl

I personally haven't had a seahorse change color. I know others have, I just wasn't expecting it to be so drastic!
An added note is that I have only purchased black horses and they have all been older horses.
A couple of people here have hoped they would see some color change.
As long as this thread is back up, Sharkboy, how's the little guy doing?

v-lioness

Mine (5 of them) are the same way they change back and forth from, black, brown, yellowish to a white, all five do it.
Kaye

alyssia

Originally Posted by lomar
It is the same seahorse. He was yellow when I got him. A couple of weeks later he turned black.

Mine have never changed but I wish they would.

alyssia

Originally Posted by ci11337
Your lil preasent will be fine in the reef as long as there are no stinging LPS corals and no really agressive fish. place a hitching post (I'd use some kind of caulpra) in a low flow zone. As long as there is a decent section of the tank with low flow your pony will do well. Good Luck!!!
:happyfish

Make sure it can get food. They are so slow they can't compete with the fish.

alyssia

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
Mine (5 of them) are the same way they change back and forth from, black, brown, yellowish to a white, all five do it.
Kaye

Cool, what kind do you have?

alyssia

I have heard that they will change to match their enviornment. I wonder if using black sand would encourage them to change to black?

alyssia

Originally Posted by alyssia
I have heard that they will change to match their enviornment. I wonder if using black sand would encourage them to change to black?

Anyone?