Seahorses

alyssia

I have seahorses. Their are limited things you can put in with seahorses because when they hitch on corals they will get stung. I don't have mine in a reef so I'm not sure what corals are safe with them. Make sure you get CB (captive bred) horses that are eating frozen mysis.

alyssia

Originally Posted by treybom
ya i was also wondering if i could do like 1-2 in a 10 gal?

I have 2 in a 29 gallon. They produce a huge bioload and need larger tanks.

treybom

alysia what size tank do u have them in?? what kind do u have?? please post all info you have.... lol im new to seahorses... so wanna get a lot of info

alyssia

Originally Posted by rujelus22
alyssia how do you feed them. I've heard that you should use a feeding dish to cut down on the waste
I have a shallow glass dish. I use a turkey baster to squirt the thawed mysis into the dish.

alyssia

Originally Posted by treybom
alysia what size tank do u have them in?? what kind do u have?? please post all info you have.... lol im new to seahorses... so wanna get a lot of info

They are in a 29. They are h. kudas.
You guys should check out {edit}, their is a ton of info there! :joy:

alyssia

I do a 20 % water change once a week and test ammonia twice a week and the ph, trites, and trates once a week.

alyssia

It's really not any "harder" than keeping a reef. IDK if I've just been very lucky or what, but I think my seahorses are easy to care for and seem relatively hardy. They lived thru a tank catastrophe just fine. Make sure you get them from a reputable breeder though. I think that may make the difference.

aredmon

Sea horse are not hard to take care of just delicate. I would not put them in with anything with stinging cells. It could stress them to the point of death. Go with captive bred horses that eat frozen mysis. They need to be fed at leaste 2-3 times a day. I just poor the food in the top with no feeding station. I think my seahorse enjoy it more. They chase the food everywhere. Kind of like in the wild. I have a feeding station but I perfer dumping it in. I have 3 blue leg hermits, 3 nass snails and a queen conch in there. My water quality stays pretty good. the sight listed above gives some great starter advise. They have a whole fact section and you can read the messageboards. they also tell you how many of what kind you can put in how big of a tank. Also tells you good tank mates.

jdennysgir

I had 2 seahorses a couple of years ago. I used a feeding station which you can see in one of these pics. The reason for this is because I had a pearly jawfish and he would dart up to eat the mysis before the horses got a chance to eat. Then whatever the horses didn't eat, I would use a baster and shoot it out of the feeding staion for the jawfish. With them I also had a choc. chip starfish and an urchin of some sort.

alyssia

Originally Posted by jdennysgir
I had 2 seahorses a couple of years ago. I used a feeding station which you can see in one of these pics. The reason for this is because I had a pearly jawfish and he would dart up to eat the mysis before the horses got a chance to eat. Then whatever the horses didn't eat, I would use a baster and shoot it out of the feeding staion for the jawfish. With them I also had a choc. chip starfish and an urchin of some sort.

Nice horses!

jdennysgir

Yes, they were. I had them about a year and a half and all of a sudden one died and when I took it out of the tank the other one just wouldn't eat . About a week later it died. They were both healthy and water was fine. They were grown when I got them so I don't know how old they really were. There have been discussions on whether or not seahorses grieve. After my experience I would have to definitely say yes they do. The whole time I had them they were always together. When I lost the first one the other one just stayed in a corner and wouldn't eat. He missed his Bud!
And so did I.

aredmon

Looks great. I have a cc star in my larger aqarium and I would never put one in with my horses. I guess it is hit and miss with them but mine eats everything. He has eaten all my turbo snails, nass. snails, and a fish. I have only had him about 7mo.
Sea horse don't live very long. I have not had mine very long so I don't know from experience but I have heard a few say they only live for 2-1 1/2 yrs.

alyssia

Originally Posted by aredmon
Looks great. I have a cc star in my larger aqarium and I would never put one in with my horses. I guess it is hit and miss with them but mine eats everything. He has eaten all my turbo snails, nass. snails, and a fish. I have only had him about 7mo.
Sea horse don't live very long. I have not had mine very long so I don't know from experience but I have heard a few say they only live for 2-1 1/2 yrs.

I agree. That's why I won't put a CC in with my seahorses.