Securing Feather Dusters

uneverno

What have you guys done to keep them from "wandering" through the flow. I know they'll eventually secure themselves, but I just got a really cool pink one, and I'd like it to stay on display...
Look how purdy:

Thanks,
Emil

coastie5685

looks good.. it should do fine there ust make sure its foot is close enough to the rock ... at night it will work on planting its foot.. what i did with my FD's is dug a whole in the sand and place the foot near the rock and place the sand around it .... it eventually moves its way through sand and mounts to rock..

koldsouth

I've got 3 dusters, Find a Hole or crevase in your rocks that you like, Place him in it and he will get himself situated and you'll enjoy
. But make sure that is where you want it because when it takes hold,
,It stays put.
Sorry about the dirty glass on the pics, I did a water change and have not cleaned up yet.

flower

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/2996838
What have you guys done to keep them from "wandering" through the flow. I know they'll eventually secure themselves, but I just got a really cool pink one, and I'd like it to stay on display...
Look how purdy:

Thanks,
Emil

What kind of feather duster is that? Yes it is purdy!

uneverno

It's a varietal of a common Hawaiian. They come in all kinds of colors, shades of brown/tan/beige being the most common. You will, on rare occasions, see pinks and purples though.
Unfortunately, this particular one had a rather nasty encounter with a shrimp. We (LFS and I) didn't know the shrimp was not reef safe. It completely ignored my brown duster which had been in the tank for ~ 2 weeks prior to this one, but it savaged the pink one.
Needless to say, the shrimp is now gone.
I thought the duster was dead. About 3/4 of its tube was gone, lost its crown, etc. On a whim I left it in the tank. Lo and behold, it started gathering sand at its foot. So far so good - it's got about 1.5" of new tube started. No new crown yet, but it's only been a few days. It can take a week or two to regrow the "feather" and supplemental Iodine helps in the process.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Coming across that color is a rarity - not to mention it took me three weeks of LFS visits to figure out what tube it was in so I could get it...

uneverno

Awesome!
I just got this guy yesterday:

Pic doesn't really do it justice. It's so purple it's almost black.

flower

Those look artificially colored (green and blue) The fact that the feathers are all one color and not two toned, like in nature.
Am I mistaken??

uneverno

I'm not the best photographer. The pink one is variegated (pink, white and in between), it just doesn't show up well in the pic.
The blue one isn't actually blue. It's more dark purple/black. It's also not a feather duster per se. It's some sort of calcerous tube worm, so monotone can be de regueur, ala Xmas worms.

flower

Originally Posted by LedZep
http:///forum/post/3002990
Yes, they can be solid-colored and "two-toned". There aren't any artifically colored.
That is so cool...I have never seen any but I will keep my eyes open!
I love feather dusters

tax lady

I am looking into getting some FDs. but do not know anything about them. Looks like they have to find a place to put their foot into ( by your posts above) and not to glue them on. Is this correct?
The ones you'll have pics above are beautiful. Hope I can find some nice colored ones too.
Any info on the placement of them would be appreciated.
My tank is only 24 gal aquapod. Should I get another filter to have more air flow?

coastie5685

feather dusters are pretty hardy... and like stated above just find a crevice where you want the feather duster and put him there... definately no superglue...
feather dusters are filter feeders and do not need supplemental feeding... i feed my whole tank of phytoplankton soo wouldnt hurt.

uneverno

I feed phyto, zoo and oyster to the corals. No special treatment for the dusters - I just put them in a place where there's decent flow, but also where they can anchor.
The brown one lower in the picture has now stuck himself to the rock crevice I put him in. Initially, he was getting blown out by the flow, so I put some epoxy putty over the crevice - not directly on the tube - just to help it grab hold. Now that the duster's happy, unsightly epoxy has been removed. Stuff doesn't hold that well anyway

What I really like about them is they don't need light, so they're great for getting some colorful movement under the overhangs.
You gotta keep an eye out for the unusual ones. I found the black one on a piece of rubble rock in LFS's polyp tank. 10 bucks and it came with another tube worm, some paly's and enough purple coraline to hopefully seed my tank. (It's for the algae that I placed the rock under high light.)
Supplemental Iodine helps if they throw their crowns, which they will do if they get really scared. Not to worry - they typically grow back in 1-2 weeks.