seeding sand?

buffett

i getting ready to set up my 37 gal tank and was wondering if i could buy 10lb bag of ls use a cup of my ls from my 3 gal and finish with getting just some kind of aragonite sand to give the amount of sand i want in the tank
would the ls help seed the other sand, i think it will but please help me out with some info if ya dont mind
thank you

why bother taking sand from your 3 gal if your buying ten lbs of LS. YES, LS will slowly make the rest of the sand alive. i would put the DS first and then the LS, but thats just me. i think that you need 1lb per gallon for a good sand bed.

am00re34

the way i did it on my 55 gallon is i bought 40 lbs of sand (should've gone w/ 60) and then bought a few cups of LS from the LFS. This spread to make all my sand live. Also fall off from your LR will sead your sand. I would not recommend to buy 40 lbs of LS because all that is, is sand w/ water, a big waste of money.

bang guy

When you say "10lb bag of ls" do you mean the bagged wet sand that sits on a shelf?
If so you don't really need it. Just use an appropriate aragonite sand during your cycle (with live rock) and add a few handfuls of real live sand after the cycle completes.

aztec reef

That's the way i would do it. Just like Bang

Spend your money on Aragonite sand(as deep as you would like)Actually for a DSB you want at least 4" minimun. and some Live Rock to seed it.
After cycle has gone throug Then you can add a cup or two from a stablished tank just for fun. Is not necessary..although it would help a little to increase biodiversity on Sandbed.