Seeking advice on how to get my puffer to grow

dsmccain

Hello all. I have had a Green Spotted Puffer for about 3 months now. I bought him at wal-mart and he is now doing fine in my marine aquarium. However, I have only once seen these fish at full size. Apparently they grow to 6 inches, mine is still a baby.
I know for them to mature they need saltwater, but what would you do to help their growth if you were in my shoes? Right now I have him in a 20 gallon tank, I already have a 72 bow bought, but just don't have a place to put it.
I feed him a different type of frozen food each day. One day I will feed brine shrimp, next day, blood worms, next day mysis shrimp. Then start the rotation over. On occasion, I feed him marine flakes but not too often.
Any advice will do, thanks!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmccain http:///forum/thread/381104/seeking-advice-on-how-to-get-my-puffer-to-grow#post_3318125
Hello all. I have had a Green Spotted Puffer for about 3 months now. I bought him at wal-mart and he is now doing fine in my marine aquarium. However, I have only once seen these fish at full size. Apparently they grow to 6 inches, mine is still a baby.
I know for them to mature they need saltwater, but what would you do to help their growth if you were in my shoes? Right now I have him in a 20 gallon tank, I already have a 72 bow bought, but just don't have a place to put it.
I feed him a different type of frozen food each day. One day I will feed brine shrimp, next day, blood worms, next day mysis shrimp. Then start the rotation over. On occasion, I feed him marine flakes but not too often.
Any advice will do, thanks!

Good food not flakes, brine shrimp or blood worms...they like meaty foods..mysis shrimp, small chopped up raw sea food you make yourself. Don't overfeed or you pollute the tank.

dsmccain

hey thanks, and ironically, the flakes are what dirties up my tank, because when they bite at them, they leave little reminiscents behind. i have a pretty good method for feeding them frozen food.
i cut a proportion off the frozen cube that i believe they can eat, i put it in a spoon and soak it in a special garlic mix to get it to melt/soak into the food. then i separate the food from the liquid and put it in a condiment cup. (i don't like to put the garlic mix into the tank)
i fill the condiment cup with their own water, and use a feeding syringe to suck up the food, then i put the end in the water and slowly release it in the tank. they usually wait for each piece to come out and kind of bottle feed, but that way i don't just dump it all in the tank, and everything gets eaten

btldreef

A puffer shouldn't be fed flakes (I'm not a fan of flakes for any marine fish) or blood worms.
Try PE Mysis (depending on his size, you may need to cut this up), squid, and some chopped up RAW cocktail shrimp, clam, crab, etc.
Him being in a small tank is not helping either.

dsmccain

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o67sLgEE0Hc?fs=1&#38;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o67sLgEE0Hc?fs=1&#38;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
This is a video of one on youtube. Its rather large and looks a little rough...
Yea, I bought it at wal-mart for $3.00. I converted him from fresh to saltwater, hes been pretty happy, hes with a valetini as well, but does not like the domino damsel hes with. As a matter of fact, Im going to fish that damsel out right now. Wish me luck!!!