Serious question... if you have a drink everyday, does that make you an alcoholic?

crimzy

Something I've been wondering for a while now. It's not uncommon for me to have a beer or a drink almost everyday when I wind down before going to bed. I've heard that doctors actually suggest that a glass of red wine everyday can be beneficial.
However if someone said they used drugs everyday, or smoked cigarettes, or even drank coffee everyday, I think it would be safe to say that their body would have a physical dependence to the substance. Would you say the same is true for having a drink?
Bear in mind, I'm not talking about getting drunk, or even getting buzzed. If this habit can lead to dependency then it's probably best to keep it in check early on. But I don't feel any compulsion to drink, I just like beer/bloody marys. What do you think?

silverdak

I dont think so at all.... 10+ a day would make you an alcoholic. your not even getting a buzz from 1 beer a night, its more like a habit, kinda like taking medicine, just cuz you take it everyday doesn't make you a drug addict does it? no it doesn't your fine, even if you upper it to 3 or 4 a night. thats just my opinion tho I know others will be different

michaeltx

Do you start drinking before noon?
Do you get up everyday looking forward to the drink?
Can you do without the drink?
I dont think anyone can say they are an alcholic for one drink a day, Now if it was several everyday and you had to have it or else then yes I would say that you were.
If you really question it though call an AA group and talk with them and get some feedback from someone that deals with it all the time.
Mike

crimzy

Originally Posted by coraljunky
http:///forum/post/2826170
Can you willingly go without drinking anything for a couple days?
Absolutely... like I said, I don't feel any urge to drink at all. It's just a nice way to wind down at the end of the day. I often go days or sometimes a week or two without drinking anything.

mimzy

i think the issue only arises when the addiction becomes a PROBLEM. is your one drink a day interfering with your relationships? is it causing you to spend money that should be spent on things like food or paying bills? is it causing you to miss out on social events; do you choose your one beer a night over going out to dinner with your wife or watching a movie with your girls? is your drinking causing you to become violent or reckless?
do you become irritable or physically ill when you miss your one drink a day?
...if the answer to these questions is no, then you do not have a drinking problem. an addiction is another story - but a PROBLEM, no.

crimzy

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2826177
Do you start drinking before noon?
Do you get up everyday looking forward to the drink?
Can you do without the drink?
I dont think anyone can say they are an alcholic for one drink a day, Now if it was several everyday and you had to have it or else then yes I would say that you were.
If you really question it though call an AA group and talk with them and get some feedback from someone that deals with it all the time.
Mike
Thanks for the response. I didn't post this to make a confession... just something that I've wondered in general. I typically think that there are a lot of people who drink a beer or two everyday.
Regarding your questions at the top... isn't it possible to be a "functional alcoholic"? My definition of alcoholism is not necesarily a person passed out in the street at 2:00 in the afternoon. But it's more on a physiological level. If you have an ounce or so of alcohol everyday, can your body develop a dependence to it?

jennythebugg

10 + a day ?! omg
i would say if someone had more than 2 a day they had a problem- or if you couldnt go without it and got all fidgety and mean

crimzy

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2826185
...if the answer to these questions is no, then you do not have a drinking problem. an addiction is another story - but a PROBLEM, no.
Interesting distinction... I like it.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2826192
Thanks for the response. I didn't post this to make a confession... just something that I've wondered in general. I typically think that there are a lot of people who drink a beer or two everyday.
Wasnt saying that you did have a problem but its an overall if you think you have a problem its always my suggestion to open that option for them to call someone to see what they say.
Regarding your questions at the top... isn't it possible to be a "functional alcoholic"? My definition of alcoholism is not necesarily a person passed out in the street at 2:00 in the afternoon. But it's more on a physiological level. If you have an ounce or so of alcohol everyday, can your body develop a dependence to it?
O yeah you can hide it from people but eventually it comes out may take years but eventually it does.
Lets say that someone only starts to drink once they get home BUT drinks till they go to bed IMO they have a problem but to society they might be productive member of society.
Mike

sepulatian

Crimzy, a drink or two a night does not make you an alcoholic. As others have mentioned, alcoholism is a dependency issue. Casual drinking, just to wind down, is fine. If you skip a day or two then get an uncontrollable urge, well that should set off a red flag. Many people like to have a drink after work. I like to sometimes myself. Now if you drink a glass of wine that is larger than your head, that simply means that URaround

seltzerd

if your drinking is interfering with your life causing you to miss work, get in trouble, etc it is a problem. If you have 1-2 could go without and does not honestly affect you negatively, then drink up (1-2 a day at most, however)

reefraff

Heck I was drinking at least a couple large scotch rocks every day since 2001 (Beer Drinker before that) and had issues with an irregular heart beat. Doc finally suggested alcohol might be aggravating the problem but it really wasn't a big deal (the heart beat) but I would be better off if I didn't drink.
No problem. Quite drinking in early feb two years ago for the most part. Have a beer once in a while and a friend bought me a bottle of fine Jack D sipping whiskey last year for Xmas that I finished off in June.
My dad and brother both died as a direct result of alcoholism. I would always come up for air for at least a week just to make sure. Turns out I wasn't a drunk, just a lush

jpc763

The 20 Questions
Take this 20 question test to help you decide whether or not you are an alcoholic.
Answer YES or NO to the following questions.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
YES __ NO __
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
YES __ NO __
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
YES __ NO __
4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation?
YES __ NO __
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
YES __ NO __
6. Have you ever got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
YES __ NO __
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
YES __ NO __
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time?
YES __ NO __
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
YES __ NO __
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
YES __ NO __
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
YES __ NO __
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
YES __ NO __
16. Do you drink alone?
YES __ NO __
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
YES __ NO __
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
YES __ NO __
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?
YES __ NO __
What's your score?
If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.
If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.
(The test questions are used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic).

crimzy

Originally Posted by jpc763
http:///forum/post/2826439
The 20 Questions

Take this 20 question test to help you decide whether or not you are an alcoholic.

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
YES __ NO __
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
YES __ NO __
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
YES __ NO __
4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation?
YES __ NO __
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
YES __ NO __
6. Have you ever got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
YES __ NO __
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
YES __ NO __
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time?
YES __ NO __
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
YES __ NO __
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
YES __ NO __
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
YES __ NO __
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
YES __ NO __
16. Do you drink alone?
YES __ NO __
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
YES __ NO __
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
YES __ NO __
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?
YES __ NO __
What's your score?
If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.
If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.
(The test questions are used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic).
I can only answer yes to #16... unless the other people on SWF mean that I'm not actually alone.

jpc763

My experience is that if someday you answer yes to at least one more of the questions, the I would not worry about it.