Setting up a Saltwater making station in the garage.

fenrir

I wanted to ask what would be best to clean out the Brute 32 Gallon trash can I picked up from lowes today? I know to not obviously use any soaps but I wanted to make sure to get rid of any chemical residue from the store.

snakeblitz33

Vinegar and water is good as stated. You might also want to clean it out with ro water once your unit has made some. Make sure it is 100% food grade plastic.

fenrir

Thanks for the vinegar idea guys. I will have to look into whether the plastic is food grade.
It's this trash can if it helps any. I assume I can find the food grade statement on the label?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_46994-1097-FG863220+GRAY_0__?productId=3088677&Ntt=trash+cans&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

reefkprz

chances are the trash can wont be food grade plastic, but thats fine people have been using trash cans for a long time as mixing stations.
the key is to make sure you clean it well enough that it no longer smells like plastic inside the trash can when your done. the plastic smell is from plasticines, which are used to make the plastic flexible, being offgassed. this is also what causes the new car smell weird huh, but if you clean it really well and fill it with water for about a week then drain it you should be ok to start using it.