Shane's 9g NanoWave Diary

zanoshanox

Set up:November 30th, 2008. Many of you know me here, I have been out of the hobby for about a year but now i'm getting back into it. I just set up a nanowave 9. Anybody else here have one of these? The biggest problem so far is keeping the temperature down...I cant get this thing below 80. And when the lights are on its more like 83. I may have to remove the stock hood and do a clamp of halide or something. I'd be really interested in knowing if others have had issues with their temp as well...

rics - 45$

I also got a piece of LR from my LFS, got it home and turned it over and low and behold! A huge acan colony!

whisk

nice find on the LR. I think its so cool finding LR with goodies on it. As far as the temp, maybe replace stock pump with a cooler one? Maybe crack the feeder hood to let some air out? Those are some ways to cool it down...

zanoshanox

right now I have the heater set at 76 but it stays at 80 all night long even with the lights off. i might throw a viper on here. don't know yet

fishnrugby

I think your problem is your powerhead. If you can buy a more efficient one that runs cooler or get rid of it all together. You now have 2 pumps and a heater running in a 9 gallon tank. You could try one of the Korilia(sp.) pumps or upgrade your return pump for more gph. I know there are restrictions on your tank because of size but 2 pumps per 9 gallons,a little much
thats like 20 in a 90 gallon. I'd try to get a stronger return pump with a split knozzle. Hope this helps.

zanoshanox

yeah i swapped out the original return for a MJ1000. I think the problem is with the lights. The fans arent strong. Right now i have a fan blowing across the tank and the feeding lid open, and its stayed between 80-81 all day.
fishnrugby;2822015 said:
I think your problem is your powerhead. If you can buy a more efficient one that runs cooler or get rid of it all together. You now have 2 pumps and a heater running in a 9 gallon tank. You could try one of the Korilia(sp.) pumps or upgrade your return pump for more gph. I know there are restrictions on your tank because of size but 2 pumps per 9 gallons,a little much
thats likee

zanoshanox

Update - 1 week
Added some more LR and re aquascaped. Hoping to add a clownfish and a yellow watchman soon.

found some pretty nice looking rock at my LFS. Descent coraline growth...

zanoshanox

updates..redid the aquascape. planning to add stonys on the tall section and ricordeas on the other side, with a large carpet anemone in the middle.

mboswell1982

dude, im totally digging the aquascaping, it looks great man, and it was cool finding that colony on the LR, thats a pretty sweet find in my book

zanoshanox

I had a ritteri that grew to like a foot long in my 20g. They do fine in nan os. I can sell it once it outgrows the tank.

zanoshanox

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2844554
what about those minicarpet anenomes?
Sounds interesting. I havent heard of them. Is there some place to get one? How would you determine that its a mini and not just a small one (young)?

whisk

wow, thats some clever aquascaping, love it dude. You get some sway'n corals in there you got a winner!