Sharh Tank Ideas?

creative

I am getting ready to open a new lfs and want to have a shark tank for a display. My plans right now are for an elogated octagon 12' long X 6' wide X 6' deep. The filtration will be a 300 gal sump a 55gal refugium and a 55 gal live rock filter. Any ideas as to what to add for equipment and types of animals for in it will be appreciated.

mikeeal

If I had a display that big, I'd like to put some H. Sweetlips in it. They would probably do good in there. Lookdowns are cool too when they get big.

cartman101

i would maybe get a horn shark! They look tight, when i get my next tank (over 300gal of course!) i would be getting a horn shark

sharkguy22

Are you making a system with a glass front. The 6 ft high just makes it more money so I think you should go shorter. It doesnt really matter for height for sharks. I would say what would be good would be either a carribean tank with bonnets,nurse, southern rays, lemon. Or something with blacktips and whitetips. Goodluck.

creative

The tank will be sunk in a floor about 2' with about 4' above the floor. The height above the floor is to keep little ones from climbing over. It will be more of a pond with Port holes through the sides for the little ones to see in. Also I wanted the extra water mass for water quality purposes. I still am unsure of the type of sharks to put in the tank. Any more input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any ideas, Todd

psusocr1

you buildin this yourself or ordering this tank?? i live in north eastern p.a and iw ould love to come check it out.. i would def. put some blactips in there!!! very active! very mean!

creative

I will be building this tank myself. I would love for you to come and see it. I will post pictures as it progresses. I will be doing research on the specific sharks after I have as many recomendations as possible.

aw2

VERY nice sized pond but certainly not big enough for Black Tips.
Bamboos, Horns and Epulettes would be ideal for the size you're building.
What types of returns/closed loop/circulation pumps are you planning on using? And, what are you think in the way of protien skimming?

creative

I will be using a ASW G6 skimmer and 2 Sequence Hammerhead pumps for returns. I think with the small load to water volume ratio that should be fine. 1 pump will be filtration the other will be closed loop

psusocr1

how far away are you from me?? i build all of my own tanks and would love to watch you in the process maybe i can pick up some tricks from you that i dont know?? this ould be great

creative

My shop will be in Waterford, PA. About 30 minutes south of Erie PA and 2 hours North of Pittsburg, PA.
Thanks For your interest, Todd

J

jdragunas

well, i plan on getting a 300 gallon shark tank in a few years, and here's my stock list:
2 spotted/marble bamboo sharks
1 california spotted ray
2 moorish idol
1 powder blue tang
1 volitan lionfish
1 panther grouper
I would love to add the following as well, but there's no room
emporer angel (or koran angel... actually, any kind of large angel)
rabbitfish
lookdowns (these fish are friggin awesome, and a 6 foot high tank would be perfect for them!)
epaulette shark
sweetlips
naso tank (i love these guys, and the way their lips are, like they're always puckered up for a kiss...)
don't add puffers or triggers... they'll pick on the sharks, nipping their fins and eyes...
And, i'm 30 min east of cleveland, Oh, so you're about 2 hours from me... do you have a mailing list? I would love to stop by your store once you get it up!!! The hubby has family in philly area, so we could possibly stop by on our way out there!!! How long before you get it up and running???

creative

The liner material will be made of the same liners that is used for drinking water. That seems to be the best I could find.
I don't have a mailing list yet but will probably put one togeather. If you want to send me your email address I will contact you when we open our doors. I am looking forward to meeting people from the message board there.
You can email me at: todd@creativebuilderserie.com or feel free to call me anytime at 814-873-7711.
Thank you for your interest, Todd

connor

i do
3-4 cali rays
2 epaulette (sp) sharks
1-2 bamboo sharks
1 horn shark
2 (male and female) blonde naso tangs
3 purple tangs
3 yellow tangs
1-2 hippo tangs
1 shoal tang