Sharing of treatment for various diseases.

jemshores

After learning by trial and error in this hobby for the past few years, my worst nightmare had arrived; an outbreak of brook/ick in my reef DT and the subsequent loss of 1 pair of B/W clowns and the 2nd pair showing symptons. (Other inhabitants-firefish and goby remaining fine thru all this). Anyway, as I was running around gathering eqipment to set up a QT to start treatment (which knowingly should of had, but we all take things for granted), I decided to make a phone call to a LFS in Gainesville. The owner, had suggested a product that she has used successfully for years and to come on up and she would dose out the appropriate amt. and YES, it is reef safe, and to please make the trip, as this would (as long as they are eating and not gasping at the top/bottom of the tank) and follow this course of treatment. With a full tank of gas and 60+ miles to go, off I went. (we will do anything for our fish!) Anyway, I started treatment immediately upon arriving home (minus all carbon) and will watch as things progress over the next 3 days. I just want to share this info with you all here because I see so many people struggling with diseases and what and where and how questions, and subsequently the loss of fish, which I feel alot of the time is NOT caused by us but by other factors not within our control. I don't know if this post will go through by posting names/links and such, but I have to at least try to spread to word...maybe alot of you all already have seen this product but I have seen no discussions related to it. The name of it is Aqua Pro-Cure; info found at fishvet.com and sold at dtpetsupplies.com. The owner has well over 1000 gallons in her store and stands behind this product. So, I just wanted to share, and as time allows, will update on their progress.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
So let us know if this miraculous medication cures brooklynella and ich in your situation.
I'd bet not.
Quarantine your fish before they go into your display. Then treat them while they are in QT, if needed. That is and remains the best course of action and message that all hobbyists have to come away with.

jemshores

Yes Beth, I wholeheartedly agree 100% on QT. Not everyone that starts out in this hobby fully grasps its importance until its too late. I am sure alot of data on what you classify as 'miracle' cures were administered too late (fish gasping, not eating, laying on their sides, open lesions, etc.) and thus resulting in death. That does not mean that they do not work. I now have a QT, which brings me back to the case in point. If these diseases are present in your DT, that must also be treated to eradicate the free-floaters and what lives in the substrate. Removing everything to a QT, leaving your DT mostly fallow; that I am not sure will kill everything. I have also seen that on these boards too; 3-4 months later another outbreak, even with no new additions. So hypo, copper, etc., all are not 100%. There are tons of snake oil out there but in my case I know I made the right decision. These diseases in our tanks are like a cancer, and treatments vary and each tank can respond to different methods. Day 2: water params are fine (keeping a close eye due to no chemi-pure), fish have no signs of ick/brook, except for minute patch on the top of the body, under the dorsal fin of one of the B/W's. They are eating like little pigs, other inhabitants, included inverts are fine and corals re-opened. I have reduced lighting to about 4 hours a day (about a hour every 4 hours) as suggested. I am very happy with the results....

flower

Originally Posted by jemshores
http:///forum/post/3143549
Yes Beth, I wholeheartedly agree 100% on QT. Not everyone that starts out in this hobby fully grasps its importance until its too late. I am sure alot of data on what you classify as 'miracle' cures were administered too late (fish gasping, not eating, laying on their sides, open lesions, etc.) and thus resulting in death. That does not mean that they do not work. I now have a QT, which brings me back to the case in point. If these diseases are present in your DT, that must also be treated to eradicate the free-floaters and what lives in the substrate. Removing everything to a QT, leaving your DT mostly fallow; that I am not sure will kill everything. I have also seen that on these boards too; 3-4 months later another outbreak, even with no new additions. So hypo, copper, etc., all are not 100%. There are tons of snake oil out there but in my case I know I made the right decision. These diseases in our tanks are like a cancer, and treatments vary and each tank can respond to different methods. Day 2: water params are fine (keeping a close eye due to no chemi-pure), fish have no signs of ick/brook, except for minute patch on the top of the body, under the dorsal fin of one of the B/W's. They are eating like little pigs, other inhabitants, included inverts are fine and corals re-opened. I have reduced lighting to about 4 hours a day (about a hour every 4 hours) as suggested. I am very happy with the results....

To make sure there are no free floaters of ich still able to infect fish in a reef tank…. Have no fish in the tank for 6 - 8 weeks.
I did manage to boost my fish’s health and had no outbreaks for over 4 months now , the ich seems to finally be out of my reef. I fed my fish chunks of shrimp soaked in fresh garlic juice. I upped the temp to 82/84…with nothing to host, ich seems to be gone. I even moved the tank…major stress for my Hippo Tang…and still no ich, not even on the one that always seem to get it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ich and brooklynella are parasites and do not just live in the aquaria. They can only be introduced to the aquaria by infected fish. And, in the absence of fish, these diseases will die off.
Inadequate treatment can result in re-infection; again, a good reason to deal with this in an isolated controlled environment, not in the display tank where all animals are exposed to medicines.
What are the ingredients of AquaProCure? I could find that info on the web.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3143206
So let us know if this miraculous medication cures brooklynella and ich in your situation.
I'd bet not.
Quarantine your fish before they go into your display. Then treat them while they are in QT, if needed. That is and remains the best course of action and message that all hobbyists have to come away with.
I agree 100%. Only proven treetment for brooklynella is formalin baths. If you have brook we will find out soon if it works. Brook is a fast acting killer and you do not have time to waste getting the right treatment

jemshores

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3143644
Ich and brooklynella are parasites and do not just live in the aquaria. They can only be introduced to the aquaria by infected fish. And, in the absence of fish, these diseases will die off.
Inadequate treatment can result in re-infection; again, a good reason to deal with this in an isolated controlled environment, not in the display tank where all animals are exposed to medicines.
What are the ingredients of AquaProCure? I could find that info on the web.
On their web site there is a MSDS sheet. Just do a google search.

jemshores

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3143665
Hey JEM...anyway you could get pictures of the infected fish????
I will attempt later this AM. They dart around sooo much. Day 3: One B/W totally clear and the other still has a small 'patch' under the dorsal. His body looks great though, fin edges, eyes, mouth, etc. Will do my final dose today and on day 5 do a 25% water change and return the chemi-pure. All I can say is that this product was able to remedy what it said it would. That does not mean that it will be a cure for everyone; I would highly recommend it though. I will purchase a bottle online and keep it on hand for any unexpected outbreaks. The info on the product and the MSDS sheets are avail online. Thanks for tuning in and will try to post pics later

jemshores

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3144313
Just curious...Are you still seeing good results?

Abolutely, being able to treat the DT was a godsend. That does not mean that QT's should be dismissed in any way. It was a chance for me to do something at least till the QT was set up. The LFS that recommended the product is one of the best in my area and Janet and her husband have been successful for years using Aqua Pro-Cure. Its hard to explain I guess, with all these products out there that 'claim' this and that; but I tried it, it worked for me, and hope others, if they choose, are as pleased with the results as I am.

jemshores

Completed treatment and 25% WC. All is good! No signs of anything on fish or free floaters in the water. Never realized how true coal black they are! Fin edges/rims are def more pronounced then when I first got the. Here is a pic of one of the clowns; as you can imagine, quite a chore...the other darts behind a rock or in their tube. They won't stop eating...all mysis, brine, cyclops and pellets in selcon, vita chem and fresh squeezed garlic. I will definetly recommend this product to my reef peeps in the area!

mell

So, how are your fish doing now? Are they still doing okay? Have you had anymore outbreaks? Thinking about getting some of that stuff...having trouble with my b/w percs too.

mell

Yeah, but isn't formaldehyde not reef safe? I thought this product is supposed to be reef safe.

jemshores

I used it in my reef tank and it had no adverse effects. Both fish are fine and did not loose a coral or an invert. The concentration of formaldhyde is way lower than formalin. I am no chem major but it was a success for me. The decision to use it would have to be yours alone....If my LFS, who has thousands+ of dollars of inventory promotes it and uses it, that was enough for me.