Shark and Stingray Tank

hedgehog123

I have always wanted one and now I have the funds for one I have a few questions on the setup.I've been thinking about having 3 californian stingrays and one coral cat shark. I don't really want a tank, but more of a large kiddie pool. Have you ever heard of that and could you post pictures? Would a 6' in diameter and 2' tall one work? How many gallons would that be? If not, what would be a better size? As far as filtration goes, could I have a good protein skimmer and sump and that be it or would I need more? OK Now let me tell you what I do know...
I need fine live sand substrate a Sump a Protein skimmer GPH 3 times the tank gallons
Conditions: temperature-72-78 degrees Ph- 8.1 - 8.4 Salinity- 1.020- 1.025 (I'm pretty sure about that from what I've read)
Any additional info will be appreciated!

mr. limpid

The set up would work if you size all equipment to the amount of gallons size of critters in pool. The only draw back I see is that you would only be able to view them is from top like a wade pool.

rickross23

I would get a family pool like 10-12ft in diameter....they are like 200$ at toysrus and they include a little filtration.

mr. limpid

Top rails are made from thicker plywood cut from flat sheets in radius. The inside and outside are made from Luan board which is a thin plywood paneling which easily formed into a radius. Very good thread on how to build a Ray/Shark pool. Thanks Meowzer enjoyed that!

hedgehog123

Well I found one kiddie pool that's 8' in diameter and 18" tall so maybe I could build a support around it to minimize stress and even put in a pond liner to avoid a leak. The pool is made of pvc so it should be pretty strong. Would that be big enough for 3 californian round stingrays and a coral cat shark? It is 550 gallons.
Thank you

hedgehog123

I found a picture on the internet and it's a stingray tank. It is a plywood tank with dimensions of 6 feet long, 3 feet wide and 15 inches tall. It's a rectangle, but a lot of people keep stingrays in rectangle tanks right or is that not ok? would this still be big enough for 2-3 california rounds and 1 coral cat shark? I can't have it any larger since I'm barely aloud to have this tank.

hedgehog123

I have read a lot about the californian round stingray but it's size is unclear. Some places say up to 10 inches in diameter and some say 24 inches in diameter. Big difference! What do you think the average is in captivity full grown?

hedgehog123

Would a cortez ray be smaller than a californian round? How big do both get some places say 10" diameter and others say 24"?!?!?! BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Please I need some answers!!!

rickross23

A 6' by 3' is not really good for a ray or shark. A 6' by 6' tank is much better. The round tanks are better for rays and sharks unless the rectangle tank is very big.

hedgehog123

Thanks for all the input! I decided that with my others tanks, I just don't have the room! It's ok though I'm happy with my current tanks.