Shark tank

ncabw

I currently have a 120g SW tank set up stairs. I'm going to be renovating my basement and am going to get a bigger tank made and built into the wall with a wet room behind it. The drywall, plumbing, Electrical is no problem since my dad owns a contracting company. My question would then be how big of a tank would i need? I've been hearing 10' long 4' wide 3' high. is this correct? Any ideas how much it would cost? 1 place i called said 10 to 20K Is that relalistic. Ive already placed a call with our glass guy to see what he would charge for the glass. Any help or ideas on how to proceed with this would be great. Is this even worth doing?? It would be a black tip shark that i want to put in there

ncabw

my glass guy called back and said he can do it for about $6 sqf which is about 600 for that sized tank. Thats temppered glass but only 1/2 thick. i assume i would need 3/4 thick. Does that sound right?
Great thread i will have to read more of it after work.

pbnj

Glasscages.com lists a 3/4" glass 730g (130 x 37 ½ x 36 ½) for $3500. They tend to be on the lower cost end of the spectrum, but you can read up on the debates about their tank quality and customer service.
By comparison, I've seen a 400g Deep Sea Aquatics tank (top quality) and stand at my LFS for about $6000.

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by ncabw
http:///forum/post/2991329
my glass guy called back and said he can do it for about $6 sqf which is about 600 for that sized tank. Thats temppered glass but only 1/2 thick. i assume i would need 3/4 thick. Does that sound right?
Great thread i will have to read more of it after work.
Well if your glass guy said he would use tempered glass for the sides, than 1/2" is sufficeint (has a factor of safety of 4) for a 36" tall aquarium. Keep in mind that tempered glass can't be drilled thus it has to be drilled before toughening. Also it is more prone to shattering into thumbnail sized pieces if impacted by something. It is tougher, but it is more susceptible to breakage due to damage of either the edges or by impact. You might consider plexiglass for a tank that size.

ncabw

Our local fish guy said that 3/4 non tempered is good enough. Said that if u tempered gets ripples/waves in the glass from the conveyor belt. also said that 30" high would be enough not 36".

salt life

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/2991292
Hope you got some thick skin, as to some of the replies you are about to get.

He isn't asking to put it in a 55g tank or something? he seems to be on the right track so far considering he realizes they need huge tanks and is researching.

jp30338

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2991381
He isn't asking to put it in a 55g tank or something? he seems to be on the right track so far considering he realizes they need huge tanks and is researching.
Yes, on the right track indeed,
but you know how some people are... Especially considering the OP is wanting a Black Tip reef shark.

salt life

Originally Posted by jp30338
http:///forum/post/2991387
Yes, on the right track indeed,
but you know how some people are... Especially considering the OP is wanting a Black Tip reef shark.
lol yeah, I hear ya.

seems like it would be an awesome project though...

ncabw

Just to clarify. The shark is a dream but the more I'm reading sounds like its not fair to that type of shark to be kept captive.
Again i have only been reading about the shark the last hour or so. So this might turn into a thread on how to build a big tank. like i said i have a lot of connections for material. and one of my dads workers is a life long friend who just upgraded his tank from 120 to 220. hes been all over me for the last half year to do this. With the tough economy i decided to redo the house and our cottage instead of chasing jobs all year. So i figure i might as go as big as i can in the basement. have a nice wet room behind the tank all that good stuff.

ncabw

also i did expect to get a bunch of people being cynical. when they hear about a big project people just naturally think u haven't looked onto it or have the means to do it. But so far you have been helpful as I'm already asking the right questions to my suppliers. Thanks Guys. I will keep u posted with my plans and of course i will set up a diary of my progress.

salt life

http:///forum/post/2991408
also i did expect to get a bunch of people being cynical. when they hear about a big project people just naturally think u haven't looked onto it or have the means to do it. But so far you have been helpful as I'm already asking the right questions to my suppliers. Thanks Guys. I will keep u posted with my plans and of course i will set up a diary of my progress.

looking foward to it man. I saw on one of the threads a video link to a guy who had an amazing tank with a black tip in it. I think it was like a 1,000 gallon tank and really long... If someone knows what im talkin about maybe it can be posted here to show him that it is possible...
keep us updated!

ncabw

There's a LFS that said to me that the 10'3'4' would be no problem. Always in SW hobby u hear different things. that's why I'm going to wait for some more responses and weigh my options. I'm hung up on the shark

salt life

http:///forum/post/2991418
There's a LFS that said to me that the 10'3'4' would be no problem. Always in SW hobby u hear different things. that's why I'm going to wait for some more responses and weigh my options. I'm hung up on the shark

Yeah I stopped listening to fish stores a while ago, I ask all my questions here. fish stores tell you what you want to hear so they can maybe get a sale from you. but I do think 10' long would be good but I would try and make it a foot or 2 wider... I think you should go for it, besides the tank being amazing, you could get like a pair of black tips and make a little reef in the middle with a rock pile, and leave the rest open for the sharks. imagine that and then tell me you don't wanna do it

E

eric b 125

how big to black tip reef sharks get? i saw that youtube video, and the shark in his tank was like 2 feet long, but it was super active. i'd like to get a shark tank in a few years, but the thought of a black tip never crossed my mind, and i still dont think i'll ever want one.