Sharks

el guapo

Better to ask questions man . It honestly been a few years since I had a shark so I have trouble remembering .

oceanboy13

its cool i trust ur judgement along with the other crazy haired dude...cause i dont want to be like that one post where he has 2 of the sharks in a 75 gallon even though my thoughts on it are its his problem atleast and not ours...sorry kinnda cold hearted but i dont think he did his research

vgl12

I've had a reef tank for some years and was wanting to set up a agressave tank. i read many books saying that you could house a baby bamboo catshark like in a 20g long. I was thinking about settin one up. I would add water from my other tank. Would that be ok for like a yr?

salt life

Originally Posted by vgl12
http:///forum/post/3104713
I've had a reef tank for some years and was wanting to set up a agressave tank. i read many books saying that you could house a baby bamboo catshark like in a 20g long. I was thinking about settin one up. I would add water from my other tank. Would that be ok for like a yr?
what books do you read? and no it wouldn't be ok.

E

eric b 125

how hard is it to hatch a shark egg and raise it from a pup? i know you start in smaller tanks and graduate to larger as it eats. also, what is a foam fractionator (sp?)?

Not to encourage the keeping of Nurse sharks but they are the only species that I know of that has a strong enough instinct to be able to be released back into the wild when they outgrow their tank.

adee

A: no one should be releasing any animal back in the wild when it out grows your tank, you should start with not getting things that out grow them or have plans (like we did for our shark to go to a breeding program at a local aquarium) for when they get too big for your system if you *must* have one.
B: nurse sharks get HUGE, fairly quickly and there are a very, very select few people here that would have any business having one and even if they did it would be for a very limited time... not a good shark at all to have in any home. have you seen one in person? they are massive!

You make very good points, again, why I said that I was not encouraging the keeping of nurse sharks. However, I think it could be debated whether or not it might be better than other sharks in an aquarium.
***please note that I am arguing this point from a completely neutral perspective***
Essentially you are absolutely correct, nobody should ever get a shark that they can't properly house throughout its life. However, and unfortunately, this isn't an ideal world and you and I both know that there are plenty of people out there with sharks that will outgrow their tank and their budget, so now what happens? If they can't find a new home for it I can only assume that they either kill it themselves or with the best intentions release it only for it to die where they can't see it. In this scenario it is clear to me that a nurse shark would be the solution for these impulsive and uneducated people. The chances of survival for these unfortunate sharks is much much higher.
(have to go, more later)

adee

I think considering the size aspect of this "Argument" at least if they got a banded cat shark or coral shark, exc.. sharks that top out about 3ft at max at least it would have a better chance of living in a tank closer to happy then a nurse shark that gets MASSIVE (im talking 14 FEET) and living in the same size tank as the cat sharks, at least the torture of living in a 100 gallon tank, 55 gallon tank, 20 gallon tank that some people try to get away with for "a year" would be less torturous then trying to put a nurse shark that are usually sold about a foot long in the same size tanks.
I also think if anyone released that shark into the wild would be pretty irresponsible and cold hearted, depending on where you live they arent even capable of living, releasing nurse shark in northern states for example, where the water is too cold. There are plenty of alternatives, donating to local aquariums, LFS that have large displays, exc. Again, if you cant at least think that far in advance you have no business having it in the first place.
Instead of giving people ideas by stating "hey if you gonna have any kind of shark, have this one that gets HUGE" Tell them the brutal honest truth that most sharks die in the first few months with inexperienced owners, many get FAR TOO LARGE for the tanks people are keeping them in, they are messy eaters, cause headaches for water quality, lower the number of fish you can have in your tank, exc. maybe fewer people would be as eager to get them in the first place. I would love to see how many people actually live on a coast on this forum anyway... "Releasing them in the wild" wouldnt be an option in those instances... i doubt someone is going to personally kill their own pet because it got too big either.. perhaps im being naive.

teds tank

^people release lionfish when they get to big for there tanks and it has become a real problem.
but i think what Psychic_Alice is trying to say that if you live in a tropical area and you bought "a shark only" to later learn that it was a nurse shark you could release it and it would have a better chance to survive than other sharks.
most lfs can't support a 12foot shark and they couldnt realy make a profit from it.
but a responsible aquarist wouldn't buy a nurse shark without a tank big enough

Yes I understand and agree entirely with all of your points but still think there could be use in the adaptability of the nurse shark, provided there were proper surveys that showed:
1.What is the most commonly kept shark?
2.What size tank is it kept in?(broken down in categories of size to species)
3.How common is it that they outgrow their tank?
4.What do the owners do with the shark when they can't keep it?
5.How much research was done before they got the shark?
6.How much experience prior to the shark with saltwater tanks did they have?
Anyways, I'm done, I do not know the answer to these questions so I'm definitely not qualified to continue this "debate" ^.^ Also thank you Teds tank for understanding the point I was trying to make, I was rather worried that ppl might misunderstand me and get really upset over my post when I was just trying to approach the problem from a different angle. I'm grateful to both of you for your understanding, I'm no expert and I've learned a great deal so thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts and experience

S

shark bait

Well it looks like 3 years has gone buy and over 7000 views WOW. I am open for pm's on the topic and have been working on the information requested about rays a while back. Once I source the information and confirm it's use for public I will post it, AND also I will have a new thread on the redo of my system here in the next few weeks. Glad you all enjoyed the post.
John

robertmathern

I got a question about a bamboo shark. I got one last night from my lfs. Its eating well I got it right after it had its dinner. Right now its in my 180. I have an asm g5 skimmer and all. My question is if they are that sensitive to metal. Is it ok to be running my gfo reactor. Since gfo is oretty much rust.

S

shark bait

First off no. Here is why. They are very large sharks that are active 24/7. The shark would need to be in a very large tank, or even shark pond, and you would need to keep the water in the low 70's max 75 for summer to keep the eating down and the growth normal for this shark. There are much better options, and in some states these sharks are illegal to own under 2-3 feet as they are protected. I'd pass. I had one that was "Dumped at the LFS" and he was quite a hand full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane96 http:///forum/thread/254711/sharks/60#post_3371540
i want some info on leopard sharks are they possible to keeep in the home aquarium...

insane96

I asked because my dad ha one in his 285 and its doing good he is about 8 to 10 inches and he is very active he eats good and is thriving how long do you think he will be able to keep him??

S

shark bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane96 http:///forum/thread/254711/sharks/60#post_3371595
I asked because my dad ha one in his 285 and its doing good he is about 8 to 10 inches and he is very active he eats good and is thriving how long do you think he will be able to keep him??
A year if that. the warmer the water the more he will eat as it speend up his metobolic rate. Also with the warm water he will become more agressive due to the hunger and he may not do well with tank mates. 285 given common sand and rock is more like 200 gallons of tank space and if it is a common 72 long 36 high and 24 deep it is not well suited for a shark. If it is 36 deep that is a better width and I would give it a year and a half or so. Use good food and make your own mix from the store.