Shipping and Handling Advice

flyersfan

Does anybody know if it's ok to ship mushrooms without any hot or cold packs this time of the year? I want to make shipping as cheap as I can. I want to stick them in some ziplock bags and ship them overnight. Do you think they would do ok if they were shipped 2-3 days?

viper_930

It depends on the weather at both the shipping and delivery destinations. Look up the zip codes before shipping.
Don't use ziplock bags. I can almost guarantee you they will leak. You can get the fish bags from your LFS for a low cost and always use a styrofoam insulated box.
They might survive 2-3 days. I never ship anyway other than overnight though just to reduce the risk.

fuerte91

How long can they go in shipping. What other forms of shipping can i use to get them besides overnight, and still have healthy corals?

scottminot

I have some shipping advice that I'm not sure was covered because I was too lazy to read all the posts. Anyways, do not ship anything in those ZipLock throw-away containers. I learned my lesson today when a few members here received frags from me. The containers leaked all their water out during shipping!
I tested the containers pretty good before I used them by filling them and throwing them around a bit and they didn't leak a drop. I even taped the covers and put the container in a plastic baggy and secured it. My guess is the pressure differences while in the plane may have contributed to this. Any thoughts?

narcotix

Heres a question i didnt see covered. I notice most if not all the people on here are from the US. Is overnight shipping to canada even an option with whats being sent? I dont know if there would be a boarder issue or not.

phtby

to answer i know it can deffinately be done because i have done it before but the cost is much higher for shipping do to the broker fees....... Hope this helps...

narcotix

Thanks for the response phtby, guess once i buy my tank will have to find some friendly canadian reefers.. heh

In regards to shipping, I had been shipped some items that were still attached to LR. How it was packaged: A thick styrofoam cup was cut in half lengthwise and the item placed in the cup half, then it was dbl bagged with some water and a paper towel that does not disentigrate in water. I thought this was the best as it absorbed shock from shipping and it prvided some insulation.
My nightmare shipping: Someone shipped in plastic storage (ziploc) containers placed in ziploc bags. I even tried to plead with the seller to ship as above- no go. What I got was a freakin, stinkin mess- nothing survived and I was out $25.00.

cranberry

My friend who is a professional breeder trialed breathable bags and founf in a few instances they had popped. He stopped using them and went back to traditional methods.
I've received snails and macro wrapped in wet paper towel using 2 day travel.

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2068893
How to ship coral 101:
I am no expert but when just shipping your basic Onesy or Twosy piece boxes heres a simple method.
Step 1.

Go get yourself some ridgid foam insulation from Lowes or Home depot. Its like 7 bucks for a 4x8 ft sheet. Just cut it into smaller more managable pieces and put it in your closet for future use
Materials list-
Razor knife
Box- whatever small box is available, and suits your needs.
Ridgid insulation- 4x8 sheets from Lowes or Depot are 7 bucks(enough for 20 boxes)
Pen
heat pack (seasonal option)

[hr]
Step 2-

Now either trace or measure the botom and top footprint of the box and then repeat with the sides and then front and back of the box.

[hr]
Step 3-

Cut out your pieces.
See where I have a portion that is "X"'d out, that is to compensate for the thickness of the top and bottom foam when you assemble your box. Remove the "X"'d out portions and discard. You may have to repeat this with the side panels to fit within the front and back panels.
The "X"'d out portions are made to size by using a double layer of scrap to represent the Top and Bottom/Front and Back displacing wall height inside the box.

[hr]
Step 4-

Insert the bottom into box first then side walls untill your box is like a small ice chest. Inside walls should leave enough room for top to fit inside box sealing everything

Note:If heatpack is needed
....... slip the backwall out a smidge so you can fit a heatpack into the box without it being directly against the specimen. Wrap the heat pack with a paper towl or a few layers of Bathroom tissue to mute the heatpack. This will also make it last longer.
Heatpacks are available at Wal-Mart and most camping stores, they are just the small packet style hand warmers. Typically sold in twin packs and really only needed seasonally. If using the heatpacks make sure to put it BEHIND the separater wall so the pack doesnt cook the item. Rolling it in a paper towl or Bathroom tissue also slows the heat so they are not raging hot. Most importantly it can extend the lifespan on the 12 hour heat pack up to over two days!. Makes it no problem to send such items like Zoanthids and other softies priority instead of express. Saves a ton on shipping.
alt="" />

[hr]
Step 5-

When bagging your item, (this by the way is the rare Bosh Platnum-ipora) Try not bag with air in the bag. When in transit the package may be a various angles and this way it prevents any portion being left high and dry at any point.

Try to match the bag with the cavity of your box so theres no slosh. You dont need much water. around 1.5 cups should be fine for most small pieces. Try to stay under 2lbs for entire packing and box. This will save alot on shipping price.

Add your item and if needed slip the heat pack behind the divider

[hr]
Step 6-

Add the top and everything should be snug, no slosh or movement when the top is taped down. And then take to the post office or UPS.
the magic number for weight is 2 lbs. going an ounce over will kick the price up signifigantly. The US post Office will do overnight for aprox 18 if you stay under 2lbs from coast to coast. Cut off time is 1:30pm to be delivered next day. just FYI
Hope this helps. And comments always welcome.

Instead of insulation, can I use styrafome? Can I use an ice pack because the plcae where it is being shipped is hot. (80-90 degreese)

J

jjs

I got some zoo's from an online vendor one time and they were cooked! They shipped them in wet paper towels with a heat pack. I live in florida so by the time the box got to my house it was like a hundred degrees. The UPS guy dropped them on the doorstep rang the door bell and left, By the time I made it to the door he was gone I couldn't sighn and they werent warranteed. Is this common? Cooked zoo's?