Shocked!!!!

moopiespoo

I just got shocked,first time. Heres the story I have been re stting up my 55g and I ran the skimmer to get rid of some of the film, anyways the skimmer overflowed, water all over. Today I go to refill the water loss, thought everything had dried up, plugged everything back in. Whent to empty the skimmer got shocked. Now I am scared to mess with anything. Everythings unpluged. What do I need to do? I don't have a gfci, should I go get one? I am a little freaked out and I dont want to touch anything? Please help!

banshee

Did you have shoes on? I used to get shocked before I had a grounding probe when I didn't have any shoes on, or was kneeling. A grounding probe stopped the shocks.

bang guy

Saltwater without a GFCI is a really really bad idea.
Install GFCI and start plugging things in until it trips. Then you'll know what equipment is bad.

nm reef

Any electrical outlet around any water without a GFCI is a bad idea...they are designed to trip which would prevent your situation....I'd seriously look into installing a GFCI right away.
Let things dry out really good before trying to kick everything back on...water/moisture and electrical currents just do not mix well!:cool:

bang guy

Drying out equipment soaked by saltwater isn't always a cure. The salt residue left behind will keep enough moisture to be very conductive.

moopiespoo

Ok so I will get a gfci, my lfs has one you plug into your exsisting outlet, would this be suitable? I was not wearing shoes. I have rubber gloves, I wasn't wearing them cause I wasn't putting my hands in the tank. Thank you so much everyone.