short fragging videos

kevin34

Great videos.
When fragging huge corals like that toadstool you have is it ok to frag off big pieces (3-5 inches) or do you have to take off just tiny chunks? If you frag off too big of a piece could that kill the coral? Also after fragging something should you let it sit in a container of tank water by itself to let it bleed out before going back into the tank? Or can you put it right back in after fragging?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by slowburn22
Thats an awesome idea RZ.... Theres nothing that sucks more that losing frags. Speaking of losing frags, I've got a tiny yellow spaghetti leather frag thats not wanting to attatch to my rock. I really want it to attatch to a certain rock, but cant remove it from the pile. Is it ok to band, net or toothpick these guys cause right now its just stuck partially into a hole? This is my first experience with a leather.
yes that will work probably bridal mesh would be the best. I have limeted success with toothpicking.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Great videos.
When fragging huge corals like that toadstool you have is it ok to frag off big pieces (3-5 inches) or do you have to take off just tiny chunks? If you frag off too big of a piece could that kill the coral? Also after fragging something should you let it sit in a container of tank water by itself to let it bleed out before going back into the tank? Or can you put it right back in after fragging?
Honestly I only do small chunks at a time, but was debating cutting the whole thing in half. the larger the damage area the longer the recovery and the higher the risk of infection, your chances of the mother colony survivng drops with taking larger pieces but the frags survivability goes up. Honestly leathers are tough, the only way your going to lose one to fragging would be a parameter problem, poor water conditions, flow, or lighting for the frag. of a combination of said factors. I have lost frags by fragging them then placing the frags in a lower lighting situation, the light shock killed them I am guessing.

reefkprz

well I ran out of small pieces of rock to frag onto. Who votes for the hammer?
ME!
just in case, anyone couldnt figure this out, this is how you make rock to frag onto when all you have is larger rock.

rykna

Say Reef~ I've had sponges...and I have heard of the horrible consiquenses of air exposure....however...
I am a huge sceptic of this theory, my Orange Tree Sponge was expose several times with no ill effects. Chance?? or should I call the "Myth Busters"?

reefkprz

Air will only kill the sponge if it gets trapped in the channels inside the sponge, a seconds exposure isn't likely to kill a sponge but it could, its best not to risk it. some are more sensitive. the larger the overall channel structure is the faster air can enter as water drains out (not just the holes on the outside but the internal structure, picture siphoning with an airline versus a python. I call it great luck.
even when air pockets get iside the sponge it may only kill a portion not the entire thing. also even if the entire thing dies the gemmules some species create can survive and grow again. thats how hitchiker sponges live through shipping, they die but the gemmule survives.
I wouldnt be too sceptical, it is fact, sponges once impregnated with air will die.

mudplayerx

Thanks for the videos reefkprZ. I'm sure that these will help out a lot of people.
ps- LOVE the soundtracks and commentary :)
"It's no fun peeling your finger off a chunk of rock" -reefkprZ

reefkprz

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
Thanks for the videos reefkprZ. I'm sure that these will help out a lot of people.
ps- LOVE the soundtracks and commentary :)
"It's no fun peeling your finger off a chunk of rock" -reefkprZ
it really isnt! I swear.
half the time you leave as much behind as you get back

Your welcome for the vids, I love shooting them, and I love sharing info, and helping out people who want to go the next step.

reef_dart21

i am sooo glad i found this thread i need help i never fraged before and i have a tree sponge and a Bubble coral which had already split itself but now i need to split the rock or somin........any tips,walkthrough, or a video? any help would be greatly appriciated
p.s. do mushrooms always have to multiply our can you stop them from growing? my tank is crawling with em
thx