Should I buy this???

pensky

THIS AUCTION IS OFFERING 50 ILLYIUS NASSARIUS OBSOLETA ALGAE EATING SNAILS
it is only $12.00 shiped. I have a 29gal FOWLR but my cleaning crew only consist of 5 bubble bee snails. If 50 snails are too many how many should I use or should I find something else? would it be ok to go with standard shipping?

underwoods

I dont think you can have "too" many snails . I had a 54 flat back hex , and bought a huge cleaning crew and they did great , but , over time so will die off but the more the merrier
lol
Jesse

jedi

Originally Posted by pensky
THIS AUCTION IS OFFERING 50 ILLYIUS NASSARIUS OBSOLETA ALGAE EATING SNAILS
it is only $12.00 shiped. I have a 29gal FOWLR but my cleaning crew only consist of 5 bubble bee snails. If 50 snails are too many how many should I use or should I find something else? would it be ok to go with standard shipping?
I bought a bunch myself from the "auction" site. I would add about half to your tank. The do as I did...
Bring the rest to your LFS, and get some store credit.
I bought 100 Nas snails, added 40 to my tank, then got $45 in credit from the store. Not bad for a $15 investment. :cheer: :cheer:

Good luck
Jedi

pensky

how many should I use for a 29gal 40#LS 25#LR the only crew has been 5 bumble bees and it was started 3 or 4 months. I plan to upgrade to a 55 buy not for at least 6 months. How many should I keep?

pensky

I also just ordered 10# of Live Rock off the net and it should arive any day but it will need to be cleaned and cured for a while. I also plan to buy 50 Nassarius Snails would it be ok to put some snails in the 29 and some in with the rock that is curing to help clean it?

bri23520

i bought those same snails off that famous auction site but i bought 200 of them, for 30$ with shipping great deal all arrived alive + there were about 30 extra in case any died in transit. great ebayer!!!!! :happy: :happy: :happyfish :joy:
i have 200 of them in my 55 and you cant even see them they really eat all the crap!!!!!!

wax32

Yeah, they eat all the stuff other good sand critters would like to eat. I wouldn't over do it. I have about a dozen in my 29.

pensky

so much conficting advice I'm confussed :confused: :confused: some say keep all the snails in the 29 and some say only use a few. one person says it will kill the snails from the ammonia and some say they will be fine???
Any other suggestions?? :confused: :thinking:

malounsbury

How long has your tank been established pensky? What are your water parameters? This would help in telling you what you should do with the snails.

kaotik

you never answered the question: how long has your tank been set up?
If its been a while id say do it. Put them all in, they should be fine and keep your sand looking good.
If its a newer tank, I would only put a few in as there is not going to be as much for them to eat and some may starve.

pensky

Sorry I forgot to mention that it has been up for 3 to 4 months ph 8.2 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. the sand is just starting to turn brown on top so i quess I will give a few to the LFS.

kaotik

yeah, i agree. put too many and they could starve. that is a great deal though either way. I would follow the suggestion of getting store credit with the ones you dont use!!

snipe

That is the thing I would buy all of them put all of them in there. They will die off and reproduce as food there are more or less food. Say you have an algea outbreak they will reproduce until its all gone then some will die off. I would either buy and put them all in there or take half to the lfs. I have around 64 snails in my 55 gallon tank and my hermits have killed some but the rest are fine.