should i put a tang in my 55g tank?

j-j_02

i have two clowns, one flame angel, and one hermit. no live rock. if so, wat angel should i get and is there anything should watch out for? thanx guys

oceansidefish

generally clowns seem to do better with rock formations than in open tanks with nothing but substrate, remember these fish host anemones and stick close to the reef

ophiura

If you do not have live rock, what do you have? I would not recommend a tang for that tank, and definitely no angel of any sort without a good amount of live rock.

fitchguy

You could get a tang for that tank. Just buy it from a LFS SMALL!!! and make sure they have a policy where you can exchange the HEALTHY fish when it outgrows your tank. Other than that, do not overly stock your tank with tons of other fish. If you want a tang, make sure he is the center of attention and give him all the room of the tank. Clowns and other small fish would be good but in small qtys. I would stick with less active fish, like anthias or chromis. Something that is not going to get in the way of the tang and stress him at all.

lesleybird

CALLING OUT THE TANG POLICE!! If you want a tang then buy a tank big enough for a tank or they will not be happy.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by FitchGuy
You could get a tang for that tank. Just buy it from a LFS SMALL!!! and make sure they have a policy where you can exchange the HEALTHY fish when it outgrows your tank. Other than that, do not overly stock your tank with tons of other fish. If you want a tang, make sure he is the center of attention and give him all the room of the tank. Clowns and other small fish would be good but in small qtys. I would stick with less active fish, like anthias or chromis. Something that is not going to get in the way of the tang and stress him at all.
Small Tangs often are hard to feed. Furthermore, Tangs need live rock to feed on. Buying small fish with the hopes of trading them when they outgrow a tank is very impractical and often counter-productive.

butters

people ***** about having tangs in too small of tanks, and how cruel it is. when every one of us took the fish out of the huge ocean and put it in a glass box.....
unless you have a 20,000g hole in your backyard for an aquarium, i dont think anyone has the right to tell others what is cruel and what is not.
you tang police huggers.......
i will be adding a small yellow tang to my 55 sooner or later...
tang police huggers:
a kole grows 1in smaller than a yellow tang, what makes that okay to be kept in a 55?

ophiura

This is a very old argument, and doesn't really do much to advance the debate and the hobby I am afraid. This argument is the exact opposite - and equally frustrating - as the "no way no how never" tang police argument. I find BOTH of these arguments frustrating (what you are proposing, and the tang police) and neither do much good I think.
Obviously, their are major behavioral and ecological differences between Kole and yellow tangs, but elaborating on them would be pointless in this situation.
You are more than welcome to do what you wish with these nice decorative animals, that is true.
However, not all tanks are suitable - even forgetting about size. A tank without live rock makes this an even worse situation for many tangs. The original poster, it seems, might like to hear all the possible risks, as well as the "do what you want, its not the ocean anyway" argument. At the very least, they may be losing money in putting one in there if odds are it will not do well.

socal57che

Originally Posted by j-j_02
i have two clowns, one flame angel, and one hermit. no live rock. if so, wat angel should i get and is there anything should watch out for? thanx guys

Angels are grazers and need well established live rock to pick at.
If you have rock in your tank (assuming your tank has cycled as there is no info in your profile) it is live rock.
Tangs like to have enough room to swim openly. This is why people suggest large tanks for them. They are also grazers which means they enjoy picking at well established rock as well.
I would buy more inverts/cleaners myself.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
Ah ok.... Were you planning on getting an anenome for them at some point???
Mine prefer a powerhead any day.

squirreloso

one of my tanks (the 55) has no live rock also. it has rocks just not "live"
99% of fish do fine with no live rock once the tank is established.
as for a tang in a 55g, yes there are tangs that can be kept in a 55, you are limited tho to yellow tangs and kole tangs, other bristle toothed tangs can be kept as well, they arent as active as other tangs
i would age the tank at least 6-8 months before adding any tang however

mbnum2

i have a 55 long reef tank and my yellow tang is as happy as can be. He picks of the rocks eats the flakes I feed him and swims around like there is not a care in the world

petjunkie

Why wouldn't you have live rock? All my tanks have at least two pounds per gallon and they do all my filtration for me, plus considering how much the fish hide in it, I couldn't imagine they would be comfortable without it. Angels and tangs are constant grazers and will eat any algea that grows on the live rock, I hope you are supplementing algea sheets for your algea and also feeding a frozen sponge diet. I think a fish as large and active as a tang shouldn't be in most tanks, no live rock just makes it even more of a bad idea. Also to all the people whose tangs are "happy" in 55s, it must be nice to have that psychic link with your fish to know how they feel.

oniel21

Petjunkie - I agree that a 55 is too small for a tang, but your argument " it must be nice to have that psychic link with your fish to know how they feel" has very little substance to it. The phrase could be turned right back on you and post the question "how do you know they are comfortable in a 150?" Not a good way to position the argument of keeping tangs out of 55's... JMO