Should I put Bristle worms in my main tank?

trainfever

I have quite a few Bristle worms in my refugium but none in my main tank. Would there be any beneifit to catching a few and releasing them in my main tank? Also, my main tank has a sand bed and my refugium has a mudd bed.

saltfan

Originally Posted by trainfever
I have quite a few Bristle worms in my refugium but none in my main tank. Would there be any beneifit to catching a few and releasing them in my main tank? Also, my main tank has a sand bed and my refugium has a mudd bed.
You have them in your DT, you haven't seen them yet....Even if you don't have any there, leave well enough alone.

reefnut

Have you looked into the display at night to see if you can see bristle worms?? To answer your question, yes I would... although they should migrate to your display naturally unless there are filters blocking the way. Still, I'd add some if you wanted.

bang guy

I agree with Saltfan & Reefnut. If there is sufficient food in the display to support them then they are already there. You may be seeing more of them in the refugium because detritus probably settles in there and the worms are eating it. Your fish are also probably eating some of the worms in the display so they will tend to hide more than the worms in the refuge.

trainfever

Yes, I look into my tank at night. I've looked at it at three in the orning with a flashlight but no bristleworms. I have a sump/refugium and the only way for bristleworms to get from my refugium to my tank would be through my return pump.

coachklm

if you have LR in your display you can almost garentee they are there.....
but hey if you want more have at it...

fishmamma

I have 2 nano tanks with no bristles. Just never got any in the live rock I guess. My third is loaded with them and they come out at feeding time and are easily seen in my 20 gallon tank. I am always trying to catch them (and the medusa worms) to add to my other tanks. Good luck catching them, I have had no luck with the bristles as they are faster than I am!

reefnut

Try a bristle worm trap!! You can buy or make them and they work good. Then you can transport them to the other tanks.
I agree with Bang Guy... most will make it through a return pump... same with pods and other micro critters.