Shouldn't LFS always have knowledgable staff???

boohbahbah

We visited this new locally owned LFS that has been around for about a month. They had a large selection and the girl working the fish dept seemed like she had potential in knowing things, since I saw her yappin' away to customers when we walked in. There were a few things I liked and she didn't know poop about them, not even what the (barely readable) hold sign was for...then I got simple and just asked the price of an anemone I really liked, where she insisted I buy some anemone that was ugly as heck and $50, just because she didn't know the price of an itsy bitsy one. I asked her if she can go find out. She just shrugged her shoulders and ignored me.
The other employees were "duur?" as well. I walked out right away, while my hubby lingered...we get to the car and I tell him that they need to have more knowledge about what they're selling...he said that we need to give them "more time" because it's a new shop...if it were my shop, I would want my employees to have some sort of knowledge before a grand opening & leave a better impression... Even our local ***** has more knowledge than this place did.

I am just wanting to see opinions about "new store, lets give them time to know their fish" view. %%

garick

Sometimes its hard to find people who are knowledgeable. If the shop is a big one then most likely just like any other store, the people are there to collect a check, not really make any sales or effort despite the obvious "But the store would fail and shut down" that is not really their concern.

boohbahbah

I know it can be hard to find knowledgeable staff, especially when it's fish...but if places such as this want to have good success and leave an impression, they need to make their employees go through some sort of training, at least know basic knowledge...or a price tag!

The LFS is family owned, they have billboard ads on the highway & made it seem so great. I had a feeling it'd be a disappointment because of that, actually. But, hubby made us drive a half hour to this junk hole anyway.

I think what got me is the girl who obviously didn't care and was just there to net fish & hand them over. The whole shoulder shrugging thing is such a no-no in business...

florida joe

IMO the one who truly needs to be knowledgeable is the hobbyist. If you are going to a LFS for a specific fish or coral you should do your homework before going to the store. If you see something in the store you like but have no knowledge of its needs taking a salespersons word as gospel even if they sound like they know what they are talking about is a risk. Bottom line, its your money do your homework

boohbahbah

Personally, I had done my homework about the fish and anemones. The ones they had were ones we had been searching for our nano tank. I was surprised to see them in stock at this store since I couldn't find them anywhere else around here.
I only asked this girl about if a clown goby was "ON HOLD" or not and then asked her the price of the anemone. She refused to find out about neither.

meowzer

That sounds more like laziness to me
Just out of curiosity....what type of anemone did you research for a "nano"???
and what size tank?