Show fish for tank

coachd

I originally had a Naso tang on my list of fish for my tank. I have some people tell me that it will get to big for my tank, so I am trying to decide if I should get one or not. My tank is a 165 gal(84Lx24Hx18W). Anyway, if I do not go with the Naso then I am wanting one more fish in the 6 to 12 inch range that will be somewhat of a open water swimmer and not just hang around the rockwork. My tank has just started cycle so I have some time, but I am trying to decide so that I can come up with the order in which to introduce the fish. This will be a mixed reef tank.
Yellow tang
Hippo tang
Blue Throat Trigger (I have read alot on this fish, and believe it is reef safe)
Marron Clown (already have in QT tank)
Some type of Fairy Wrasse
Flame angel or Flame hawkfish
Lawmower blennie
Neon Goby (cleaner fish)
Possible 3 to 5 Green Chromis
Clean up crew ( possible without shrimp,because of trigger and hawkfish)

xdave

Although I recomend that a tanks smallest horizontal measurement be 1.5 times the length of a fishes adult size, Nasos kinda don't count. They list them as 18" but I believe that would include the males streamers, the fish itself is really, in a practical sense, only 12". I've seen them at the National Aquariums in Baltimore and D.C., as well as my local zoo. They were no way 18". I'm am sure of the age of the one at the local zoo becuase I picked him out myself. He grew up in a tank thats 24'x18'x8'.
I also stick to the rule of 1" fish per 5 gallons water, that would be a maximum of 33" total fish in a 165.

stacyt

I have seen Naso's in the wild that where almost 18", not including the streamers. I have seen some in captivity in the 12-14" range.
Also keep in mind that people are not always successfull keeping more than 1 tang to a tank. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. With lots a LR you could probably get away with 2.
I would not recommend a flame hawk. I would go with the flame angel. I love both these fish, but the flame hawk will eat just about anything he can fit in his mouth. I've seen them devour shrimp & hermit crabs, and if you care going reef you'll most likely be better off with the flame angel.
I've kept blue throats in a reef, and they tend to be very docile fish. Of coarse I have also heard of others that where not so docile. So keep a close eye on them.
I would say the list you have overall would be a good choice, and I would probably not add anything else to it. As it is I would consider that a bit over stocked, but it would probably work.

M

microlady

Naso's are HUGE! I saw some snorkeling in Hawaii. What about a Sohal tang? I know they are pretty aggressive, but they are gorgeous. I think they would have plenty of room in a 165. :thinking:
Heather

N

nereef

Originally Posted by microlady
Naso's are HUGE! I saw some snorkeling in Hawaii.Heather

wow, that would be incredible! lol

sw65galma

Originally Posted by microlady
Naso's are HUGE! I saw some snorkeling in Hawaii. What about a Sohal tang? I know they are pretty aggressive, but they are gorgeous. I think they would have plenty of room in a 165. :thinking:
Heather

Sohals are pretty mean....and could badger/kill everything else in the tank.

coachd

Is it ok to keep two tangs together even if they have different body types or would I need to add one more to have an odd number of tangs in my tank?

xdave

Hmmm... i thought same genus tangs should be added toghether, and different genus ones should be added seperately as you would with any other 2 different genus'.

M

microlady

Originally Posted by sw65galma
Sohals are pretty mean....and could badger/kill everything else in the tank.
Yeah, I guess you are right. They are really pretty, though. What do you need to keep them with? Triggers and large angels?
Heather