Show off your Black and White Occellaris Clownfish

I'm going to be getting a pair of black and white Occellaris clownfish. These have quickly captured my heart I love the black and whites..... Until my tank cycles, could you fine people show me your nice black and white clownfish?

lmforbis

Mine are normal colored but that is my preference. I agree the black and white are good looking fish. Take a look at the BRSTV YouTube videos of their clown fish harem tank. It is 30 black and white (snowflake I think) clowns and anemones. Gorgeous fish and tank. I was in their offices today and just that tank and I can't believe how big those clowns have gotten. They don't even swim they are too busy snuggling into the many anemones.

pegasus

Sorry... I don't have a black and white Amphiprion Ocellaris. I do have a black and white Amphiprion Polymnus, aka, Misbar Saddleback Clownfish. It's very camera shy, so I can't take a clear picture of it. I made a very short video instead. If it isn't close enough to what you're looking for, let me know and I'll delete it...

Mine are normal colored but that is my preference. I agree the black and white are good looking fish. Take a look at the BRSTV YouTube videos of their clown fish harem tank. It is 30 black and white (snowflake I think) clowns and anemones. Gorgeous fish and tank. I was in their offices today and just that tank and I can't believe how big those clowns have gotten. They don't even swim they are too busy snuggling into the many anemones.
I just watched all of the videos. AWESOME clowns. How much do the black and white snowflakes go for? I think I want one.
Sorry... I don't have a black and white Amphiprion Ocellaris. I do have a black and white Amphiprion Polymnus, aka, Misbar Saddleback Clownfish. It's very camera shy, so I can't take a clear picture of it. I made a very short video instead. If it isn't close enough to what you're looking for, let me know and I'll delete it...

Very nice... looks awesome!

lmforbis

I just watched all of the videos. AWESOME clowns. How much do the black and white snowflakes go for? I think I want one.
Those fish are now about 3 inches each. They grow fast they were about half that size the first time I saw them in April.
My guess is they go for upwards of $100 each. When I was at my not so local fish store yesterday the regular black and white were around $50 each. Snowflakes will be more. They don't start off completely black and white there is often a little orange when they are young.

Not totally Black & White but I liked him

AWW!!! He is so cute.... I love him! I love the black and whites remind me of my favorite wrestler Sting.
Those fish are now about 3 inches each. They grow fast they were about half that size the first time I saw them in April.
My guess is they go for upwards of $100 each. When I was at my not so local fish store yesterday the regular black and white were around $50 each. Snowflakes will be more. They don't start off completely black and white there is often a little orange when they are young.
Oh that's cool.
Up here in Springfield MA, Black and Whites go for $27.99 for 1-2'', and $34.99 for 2.5-3''. Quick question could I mix a 2.5-3'' with a 1-2'' one or is that asking for trouble? Because it seems the 3'' ones are pure black and the 1-2'' are red and brown and I thought the color difference would look cool under my blue light I ordered.

lmforbis

AWW!!! He is so cute.... I love him! I love the black and whites remind me of my favorite wrestler Sting.

Oh that's cool.
Up here in Springfield MA, Black and Whites go for $27.99 for 1-2'', and $34.99 for 2.5-3''. Quick question could I mix a 2.5-3'' with a 1-2'' one or is that asking for trouble? Because it seems the 3'' ones are pure black and the 1-2'' are red and brown and I thought the color difference would look cool under my blue light I ordered.
I'd go with 2 small ones, as small as you can get. They get blacker as they get older. They grow fast. One will turn female and get really big and the other will stay male a bit smaller. With bigger fish you risk getting 2 females which will quickly become one.

Kristin1234

I got my snowflakes tiny and they are growing quick. Not black and white but Orange and white and I paid about $150 a peice.

My LFS keeps their fish only with LIVE rock at 1.018-1.020 I keep mine right at 1.025 for the live rock. What should I do for accumulating? 2 hour drip or add tank water to bag? How do their inverts like fire shrimp live in low salinty like that?

lmforbis

I would drip acclimate over at least 2 hours (I'd probably do 3-4) with tank water. Fish can take faster drops in salinity than increases. The other option is to lower the salinity of your tank to match the salinity the fish are at assuming these are the first additions. You can then slowly increase the salinity in the tank over a couple weeks.

pegasus

I always promote the slow-drip method over water exchange in the bag(s). The reasons are two-fold. First and foremost, you never want to add water from the LFS to your tank! You don't know what kind of chemicals or pathogens may be lurking in the LFS water, so always play it safe and keep it out of your tank. The second reason, and it's basically a tie for first place, is the prevention of osmotic shock. Not only is there likely a difference in salinity, but there is always going to be a difference in pH. Even a short trip can change the pH of the shipping water. As fish respire, the gills release carbon dioxide... and ammonia. Both of these will lower the pH level in the shipping bag. Adding fresh tank water to the bag will raise the pH level too quickly, and this can be lethal.

Also... not enough oxygen in the shipping bag results in severe stress and possibly hypoxia or buildups of blood lactic acid which may contribute to fish kills two to three days after stocking... which is why you should monitor your LFS as they are bagging the fish. Always request at least 75% of the bag be air, as I've never seen an LFS top a bag off with pure oxygen. Improperly bagged fish can account for loss of fish a day or two after introduction to a tank, even if all the proper procedures were followed.

While there is no guarantee, the odds of success are greatly increased by using the slow-drip method vs. exchanging water in the bag. I never finish the process in less than two hours, and for sensitive invertebrates, it's normally 3+ hours. Since using this method, I have had no loss of life due to introduction to a new environment.

Ok awesome guys. It's time to pull out that airlune tube I have. I'll drip for about 2 hours. Only 2-3 more weeks until I can get the clown.....

pegasus

As bang guy mentioned, keep the fish warm. I didn't go into all the details of the drip-acclimation process, so I'll add it now. I always temp acclimate the bag(s) of fish for 15-20 minutes by floating the bags(s) in the tank before starting the drip-acclimation. I prefer to use an airline valve to control the flow, which should be about 4 drops per second. Always use a sterile plastic or glass container to acclimate the new additions... never use styrofoam. Start by opening the bag(s) and pouring the contents into the container. Start the slow-drip, and let it go until the water volume doubles. Pour half the water out and discard it. DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR TANK! Allow it to double again, and repeat. If you drip correctly, you will pour water out of the container at least 4 times. After removing water a minimum of four times, the shipping water should have been completely replaced. While tempted to pour the fish into the tank, do not do it. Either net the fish, or as I do, gently scoop them into your hand and allow the water to drain between your fingers. Gently place your hand in the tank, slowly open your hand, and allow the fish to swim out at it's leisure. I find this method to be the least stressful, and fish will normally not dart for a hiding place. Always do this in a dimly lit room and tank, as it cuts down on curiosity and possible aggression from current fish. It also allows the new arrival(s) a chance to get accustomed to their new surroundings without being intimidated.