Show us your babies!

g13

Originally Posted by joebob7
hey bang guy do you have any pics of the mandarins when their older??
I'd like to see that also.

reef diver

Hmm, If anyone can figure out how to get enough of the mandarins to grow to saleable size, it would be an amazing benefit to the hobby, as so many are killed, from the wild.

bang guy

Originally Posted by joebob7
hey bang guy do you have any pics of the mandarins when their older??
Nope. 7 days is the best I can do so far. I haven't figured out why yet.

beatlesfan

if you ever do breed and raise the mandarins I'm sure you would get as much publicity as you deserve NOW. Also if you ever do raise i am interested in a tank bred mandarin. (sorry if i broke rules in last statment)

g13

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
Theres a thread on --, about a gy who breeds everything imaginable, i think hes gotten to 10 days

MWP, is a pretty good fish breeder from what I've read.

reef diver

Originally Posted by G13
MWP, is a pretty good fish breeder from what I've read.
YEh that was his name, feel bad for him now tho, all his fish are comin down with ich all of a sudden.

dan hanna

:help: :help: i just noticed my maroon clowns acting funny so i took a closer look and i know why now!! there are eggs all over the live rock and i don't know what to do now? they no longer sleep in the green carpet, they run off any fish that float by. now i am fairly new to this i've had this tank for almost two years(150gal) now. i would really like to see these fish live, so i need to know what i need to do to make this happen. can anyone please help me??? i have 2 tangs 2 reef chromis and the 2 maroon clowns. and one very large green carpet. i am ordering the book by ms.wilkerson next. but could still use some advice!!! anyone!!! :help:

bang guy

There's nothing you can do for the eggs now. Preparations for raising Clownfish fry need to be made well in advance. Go through the book until you understand everything well and then prepare a rearing tank & food.
In the future, your questions will probably get a lot more answers if you start your own thread.

team2jndd

lol bang those bangaiis are the coolest. I wish i had the time and $$$ to try and learn that stuff right now.

dan hanna

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
There's nothing you can do for the eggs now. Preparations for raising Clownfish fry need to be made well in advance. Go through the book until you understand everything well and then prepare a rearing tank & food.
In the future, your questions will probably get a lot more answers if you start your own thread.
thanks for the info!! so your telling me them guys aint gonna make it??

bang guy

Originally Posted by dan hanna
thanks for the info!! so your telling me them guys aint gonna make it??

They don't have even the slightest chance, sorry.

dawman

Neoreef , I want to try breeding clowns . Was wondering if you would email me as I have some questions about starting out . :help: I`d really appreciate any help !
bdawman@yahoo.com

urethekau

Not to argue with Bang Guy, because he definitely knows what he's talking about, but if you check out page 188 of the infamous Wilkerson clownfish book under the heading "hatching" she states that you can acheive a higher hatch rate by leaving the eggs with the parents, and it's less stressful for the dad. "The eggs usually hatch about eight days after they are laid, within two hours after darkness." I also read in another book that the fry are drawn to light, so if you want to try and save some, here is what I would do; Watch the eggs which should be a pink or orange shade, when they turn brownish they are within 3 days of hatching. Plan your lighting ahead of time. Make sure during those three days you have your lights on and off at the same time every day for exactly 12 hours. Every night when you turn the lights off, turn off all filtration so the little guys don't get sucked in. watch under the cover of darkness (hopefully you have a moonlight or something for viewing) for at least 2 hours, 2 and a half to be safe, if you're feeling ambitious. After that long, if they haven't hatched, they probably aren't going to that night. Turn the filtration back on. On the night that they do hatch, shine a flashlight on the surface of the water, the fry will flock to it, and you can catch them in a container-don't use a net, it will kill them, they're too fragile. Leave the filtration off for the night and drape something over the tank to keep it dark. when you get up in the morning shine the flashlight on the surface again and collect any that you didn't get the night before. I would also use water from the tank they are in for your rearing tank. 3 gallons in the bottom of a 10 gallon aquarium should suffice, with an airstone and sponge filter (if you can find one) and a small heater with no light or cover the light with black electrical tape so the fry are not drawn to that light and, well, fry. Bottom and sides of rearing tank should be black and dark, with no harsh lighting at the top, no cover at all with just normal room light leaking in is sufficient. By the time you get to this point you should have wilkerson's book to proceed with. You are going to lose some to other fish eating them as they are hatching, but you should be able to save some of them this way, it certainly won't be easy though. Hope this helps.
Ooops! I just noticed you posted your question on jan 25, you may already have had a hatch, I hope I wasn't too late.

neoreef

Urethekau, you are pretty accurate on what to do for the hatching part, but I think what Bang was refering to is the fact that once you've got them, you have to feed them, and if you are not prepared, you won't save any. You need enriched rotifers, and they don't come easy.
Wilkerson's book is the best short course on how to do this breeding thing. It's how I got my start.
Clownfishes, by Joyce Wilkerson. It's a must read!

bang guy

Originally Posted by Urethekau
Not to argue with Bang Guy, because he definitely knows what he's talking about, but if you check out page 188 of the infamous Wilkerson clownfish book under the heading "hatching" she states that you can acheive a higher hatch rate by leaving the eggs with the parents, and it's less stressful for the dad.
Wilkerson's book got me started. I didn't stop with her advice though and I believe I have improved greatly upon some of her ideas.
I agree that the greatest hatch rate is accomplished by keeping the eggs with the parents. That's not practicle for a reef tank though because most of the larvae end up as snacks for the residents. In a dedicated Clownfish tank is works great but I don't have that kind of setup.
I have invented a way to mimic the egg grooming that the parents do and the hatch rate is nearly 100%.
Here's an example, there are over 400 Clownfish Fry in the container, these are all from a single batch and these are just the ones that made it to day 17.