shrimp compatibility?

sinaloa213

Here's the deal , i got 2 cleaner shrimp yesterday and 2 fire shrimp today......then my dad without telling me gets a coral banded shrimp....will all these inverts live in harmony in a 95 gallon? i know that the coral banded is iffy

mbowker

i have two cleaner, a fire and a coral banded in a 125 for about three years. they are fine. Maybe these are the exception, but see how it works out

aztec reef

you have plenty of room i dont see why not? i've never seen a coral bended eat anything that was'nt already dying.

eastland

I have all 3 (one of each) in a 90 Gal. and they get along so far. The Coral Banded is nocturnal and hides even more than my Fire Shrimp...only the Cleaner has a personality.

K

kalied20

I have a cleaner and coral banded in my 90 gallon. They pretty much stay away from each other. If they cross paths the cleaner runs like the wind. But they don't fight.

ci11337

As long as you have plenty of hideing places,(LR) you should be OK. But don't be to suprised if one of the cleaners or bloods goes missing. (just 'cuz u have so many eventually one will be in the wrong place at the wrong time) Still, I'd say keep it, (and thank your dad) You never know, mabe one day he'll get you a black tang without telling...

ophiura

It is a sizable tank, but IMO you are correct to worry about the CBS which will, without ANY doubt, attack things that are perfectly healthy (I've seen it torment small fish).

sinaloa213

well as soon as i put him in all the fish swam by it and the cbs wanted to pinch all of them and did ge the yellow tang bad on the tail.i took him out and killed it............NOT went to the lfs

aztec reef

in that case you shouldof cut its tentacles and put it back in, by the time he grows new ones he would'nt careless about your fish. i did this once and that showed him who the boss is.

scsinet

i took him out and killed it............NOT went to the lfs

in that case you shouldof cut its tentacles and put it back in, by the time he grows new ones he would'nt careless about your fish. i did this once and that showed him who the boss is.
And you guys think this sort of activity is going to impress somebody? Killing things in "retribution" for their natural behavior or cutting off parts of an animal to "show them who is boss" is just wrong, even if it is just a shrimp. It's not their fault, it's yours for failing to practice proper husbandry.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
you have plenty of room i dont see why not? i've never seen a coral bended eat anything that was'nt already dying.

You contradict yourself. If you have never seen it going after anything that wasn't dying, why the extreme reaction? You can't, BTW, erase the INSTINCT of an animal by doing this.
Ultimately in this hobby you take responsibility for what you combine, and for accepting the possible risks with their natural behavior.
If you need to do this to be the "boss" of a shrimp...

aztec reef

Originally Posted by ophiura
You contradict yourself. If you have never seen it going after anything that wasn't dying, why the extreme reaction? You can't, BTW, erase the INSTINCT of an animal by doing this.
Ultimately in this hobby you take responsibility for what you combine, and for accepting the possible risks with their natural behavior.
If you need to do this to be the "boss" of a shrimp...

well, let me clearify. this was not recently i did this when i first started reef keeping. couple years ago yes it was newbie mistake. but its not a big deal since i did'nt kill it. it actually lived and yes it grew its tentacles back(this happens in wild life all the time, just like starfish they loose a hand and they grow a new one.
and it worked just like i said he did'nt bother anyone after. and he actually overgrew my 29g so i exchange it.
have'nt you seen any inverts loose arms or tentacles and regrow them.
what would you do? but not now! back when you started hobby.(newbie)
or you're gonna say you havent lost any animal or made a rookie mistake

aztec reef

ophiura said:
It wasn't because he was killing anything, he was stressing all my corals and pinching them(which was rare).cause it was'nt my first coral bended shrimp actually i did erase his instinct long enuf for him to chill out.
i kept him for 6months after that. (he grew back its tentacles like in 1month)
when you have a $25 shimp stressing like 15 lps/sps corals($600 value) will you let it wipe everything out?

scsinet

It wasn't because he was killing anything, he was stressing all my corals and pinching them(which was rare).cause it was'nt my first coral bended shrimp actually i did erase his instinct long enuf for him to chill out.
i kept him for 6months after that. (he grew back its tentacles like in 1month)
when you have a $25 shimp stressing like 15 lps/sps corals($600 value) will you let it wipe everything out?
Did you erase an instinct or did you just cripple the animal? If you get hungry (an instinct) and I sew your mouth shut, does that keep you from being hungry, or does it just remove your ability to act on that instinct (eat)?
If an animal you put into the tank is causing problems, you remove the animal and take him back where you got him from, or find some other means of transferring it to someone who can care for it. Euthanizing or crippling an animal for the reasons demonstrated here is not appropriate, as it is the means to misplaced priorities and ethics in the hobby.
Nonetheless, if it was a newbie mistake it was a newbie mistake. You can understand the reaction though, if you consider that the way you put it forth was that of pride over your decision, and it was put forth as a teaching experience... "well let me tell you how I handled it..." and it could very well give newbies in this hobby the idea that this kind of thing is the right thing to do, so it might be best to quantify your statements of this type with a stipulation that doing so was something you did as a newbie and not the right thing to do, to prevent said confusion.

ophiura

well, let me clearify. this was not recently i did this when i first started reef keeping. couple years ago yes it was newbie mistake. but its not a big deal since i did'nt kill it. it actually lived and yes it grew its tentacles back(this happens in wild life all the time, just like starfish they loose a hand and they grow a new one.
and it worked just like i said he did'nt bother anyone after. and he actually overgrew my 29g so i exchange it.
have'nt you seen any inverts loose arms or tentacles and regrow them.
what would you do? but not now! back when you started hobby.(newbie)
or you're gonna say you havent lost any animal or made a rookie mistake

A newbie mistake is a newbie mistake. But if it was a mistake, don't recommend it to others. :scared:
FWIW, YES this does happen in the wild, usually the result of a predatory attack, or some sort of interaction.
However, it can be fatal in captivity if you just do this. Let's take the seastar example. They may not have the food required to regrow in captivity. Or too much may be lost and they can not regrow past a point. THis is likely a good way to kill things in many of our tanks because it is not the wild. For the shrimp, well assuming that your water quality is good enough that it does grow and molt, yes, it regrows them. But there is an assumption that this will happen, and it does not always work.
Even when I started this hobby, I would not have done that. I am an invertebrate zoologist, after all, and this wouldn't be an experiment to learn anything from so it wouldn't be my thing. I would have traded it with a fellow hobbyist, or returned it.
If we are doing confessions then yes, I killed things at the start. And boy did I put the breaks on real fast and took time to learn. I had nothing but a damsel for a couple of years in fact until I got things working right. That was before boards like this existed. :(

aztec reef

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Did you erase an instinct or did you just cripple the animal? If you get hungry (an instinct) and I sew your mouth shut, does that keep you from being hungry, or does it just remove your ability to act on that instinct (eat)?
exactly if me eating was a problem then that would work would'nt it?
If an animal you put into the tank is causing problems, you remove the animal and take him back where you got him from, or find some other means of transferring it to someone who can care for it. Euthanizing or crippling an animal for the reasons demonstrated here is not appropriate, as it is the means to misplaced priorities and ethics in the hobby.
i wish you told me this two years ago.
Nonetheless, if it was a newbie mistake it was a newbie mistake. You can understand the reaction though, if you consider that the way you put it forth was that of pride over your decision, and it was put forth as a teaching experience... "well let me tell you how I handled it..." and it could very well give newbies in this hobby the idea that this kind of thing is the right thing to do, so it might be best to quantify your statements of this type with a stipulation that doing so was something you did as a newbie and not the right thing to do, to prevent said confusion.
it wasn't an idea or advice, it was already done! it wast just a figure of speech. sheez i guess i should off kill mine too maybe i would'nt gotten flamed!! i did'nt know you were so sensitive on that subject.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by ophiura
A newbie mistake is a newbie mistake. But if it was a mistake, don't recommend it to others. :scared:
it wasn't a recomendation it was figure of speech, he had already kill it. Imo i rather do what i did then kill it.
FWIW, YES this does happen in the wild, usually the result of a predatory attack, or some sort of interaction.
However, it can be fatal in captivity if you just do this. Let's take the seastar example. They may not have the food required to regrow in captivity. Or too much may be lost and they can not regrow past a point. THis is likely a good way to kill things in many of our tanks because it is not the wild. For the shrimp, well assuming that your water quality is good enough that it does grow and molt, yes, it regrows them. But there is an assumption that this will happen, and it does not always work.
ok; i dont recomended to the :scared:
Even when I started this hobby, I would not have done that. I am an invertebrate zoologist, after all, and this wouldn't be an experiment to learn anything from so it wouldn't be my thing. I would have traded it with a fellow hobbyist, or returned it. and you think the lfs will keep it save? not my lfs they have lame water quality. so my choices were take it back to the crappy water, flush it, or disable the treat.
If we are doing confessions then yes, I killed things at the start. And boy did I put the breaks on real fast and took time to learn. I had nothing but a damsel for a couple of years in fact until I got things working right. That was before boards like this existed. :(
so the guy that kill it should get

mr.bled

Originally Posted by SiNaLOa213
well as soon as i put him in all the fish swam by it and the cbs wanted to pinch all of them and did ge the yellow tang bad on the tail.i took him out and killed it............NOT went to the lfs

just to clarify it he did not kill it, have you not seen borat yet?