shrimp dying

john57

I have a relatively new tank, about 4 months old. I added peppermint shrimp after the cycle was done so they have been in almost 3 months.
I recently got ich on my fish, no qt at the time
but bought one and did hypo. I let my dt sit idle for about 40 days with just my cuc, including 2 peppermints. I dropped some mysis in about every 3-4 days to supplement what they might find. They have continued to molt about every 2-3 weeks.
Last week, one turned white across the ******** in his abdomen. I thought he was molting, but two days later I found him dead. Yesterday, the same thing with the other. My cleaner shrimp is looking great, as are all my snails.
My parameters are right where they need to be. Calcium has been a little high, about 550. The only thing I changed in the last month was raising the salinity from 1.022 to 1.025, and I did this gradually with topoffs.
Is there a disease that will cause this whitening of the flesh. When they are healthy, you can practically see right through them.

indy2009

are you adding Iodine? It might be after molting shell is unable to harden, do you have enough LR for them to hide? I have 5 peppermints and 3 cleaner shrimp and I do add Iodine weekly, and between all eight they do molt weekly/bi weekly I see the empty shells all the time.

john57

I don't add iodine. I thought that with regular water changes, it would keep the level up. But I need to get a test kit for it. Thanks for the advice.
One other thing I thought of. I know that both shrimp were carrying around eggs and i did see both dumping them just 2 or 3 weeks before they went to the great beyond.

bang guy

Originally Posted by john57
http:///forum/post/2985153
I don't add iodine. I thought that with regular water changes, it would keep the level up. But I need to get a test kit for it.

Shrimp do not need Iodine so don't add it just for them.
My cleaner shrimp is looking great, as are all my snails.
What species is the remaining Cleaner Shrimp? Typically, if Snails are doing well then the Shrimps death is not related to water parameters. You may never find the answer. If I had to guess I would say starvation.

john57

I'm leaning towards the starvation thing too BangGuy. I read so much about the downfalls of overfeeding and it's hard to keep a balance. If they would just tell me like my dog does, it would be easier.
We really need a kick in the pants icon to bring up. I'd give myself one.