Sick Dogface Puffer - He isnt swimming at all

roboticfish

Hello,
I'm not sure what is wrong with my DogFace Puffer. He was fine until this morning. He isn't swimming much and he didnt greet me today when i came home zipping back and forth for food.
I did a 10% water change just to be sure.
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 40
He is eating but seems skinny and has no strength. Normally he can chomp a krill to bits but now he can barely chew it. Also i used Purple up twice in the past week. One and a half caps full as the directions said. I think this might be the cause.
Picture Attached.
Thanks in advance.

roboticfish

Tank setup is as follows.
125 Gallon
Custom Built Wet/Dry
Red Prizm HOB Protein Skimmer
Coralife T5's
Hope this helps.

roboticfish

I tried to get a better picture but my ipad camera gets crappy if i go further away.
Tankmates include
Foxface, Diamond Goby and Lionfish.
Tank is almost 4 years old.

meowzer

Sure is clean for 4 years old...LOL....My tanks are a mess...
So he was fine before you added the purple up? If I may ask.....WHY did you add it?
If you really think it is the cause......I suggest a larger waterchange.......what do you feed the puffer?

roboticfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391523/sick-dogface-puffer-he-isnt-swimming-at-all#post_3472669
Sure is clean for 4 years old...LOL....My tanks are a mess...
So he was fine before you added the purple up? If I may ask.....WHY did you add it?
If you really think it is the cause......I suggest a larger waterchange.......what do you feed the puffer?
I added some new base rock to the tank like 2 weeks ago and it just didn't seed at all. So i figured add some of this purple stuff in :(
I feed him Brine and Silversides and Krill. Not all at once tho :)
I have this scraper thing that makes the glass crystal clear. Best 30$ i ever spent.

meowzer

Was the rock you added clean? any parameter spikes after adding it?
Not too sure how nutritious that food is......I know brine is not...neither is krill from what I have read.....do you give it vitamins of any type?

roboticfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391523/sick-dogface-puffer-he-isnt-swimming-at-all#post_3472675
Was the rock you added clean? any parameter spikes after adding it?
Not too sure how nutritious that food is......I know brine is not...neither is krill from what I have read.....do you give it vitamins of any type?
I do Garlic Xtreme and Vit E and C
It was Dry Base Rock. I boiled it in RO water before putting it in.
The Silversides are a fair bit of protein.
Any idea's on the food?

btldreef

Purple Up can be poisonous. It contains a lot of iodine if I remember correctly and people have claimed that it can mess with the oxygen content in the water. I've used it in the past for the same purpose you're looking to use it for, but never at the full recommended strength. I'd start with a larger water change.
As for foods, it doesn't sound like you're offering anything to help it grind down its teeth? I fed my puffer feeder shrimp, silver sides, small clams and hermits, etc. The Krill and Brine don't offer much nutrition.
Is it possible that the FoxFace or the Lion knicked him with their quills?

roboticfish

PH is 8.2
I give him silversides like 2 times a week and also Clams(Frozen cubes tho)
The Lion or Foxface hitting him with there quills is totally possible.
He is about 2 1/2 inches

P

painem

I was looking for a cheap kitchen and searched for weeks to find the right one and then I came across www.cheapkitchenswhitefield.co.uk Their kitchens are definitely the cheapest kitchens on the market, I got delivery of my kitchen about two months ago and it's now fitted and looks perfect and it cost me 40% less than the best quote that I got. I can definitely recommend them especially if your looking for a cheap kitchens
http://www.cheapkitchenswhitefield.co.uk