sick fish with Vibrio, what treatments work?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Kazarko
http:///forum/post/2463244
Started the maracyn2 treatment today. I did a 30% water change before the treatment and started up the protein skimmer to use as a pump only to get better water flow and get some more dissolved oxygen in the water(noticed fish were breathing faster).
Do you have powerheads? If so how many and what kind? The skimmer will skim the meds out. What sized tank is this?

kazarko

the grouper is dead. The bacteria infection is likely one that resides in the sand bed because my clown fish and sailfin tang are not bottom dwellers, but my puffer and grouper did rest on the sand bed and the grouper and puffer are dead.
furan-2 did not work, Mela fix did not work, Maracyn2 did not work, hypo did not work. I ordered Kanaplex but it didn't arrive here in time to make any difference. I am very frustrated by this and I am considering this tank to be permanently infected and will no longer add any new fish to it in the future unless I take out every piece of sand and LR and scrub it down. Whatever infected my fish can still be in the tank and was highly medication resistant.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2468790
the grouper is dead. The bacteria infection is likely one that resides in the sand bed because my clown fish and sailfin tang are not bottom dwellers, but my puffer and grouper did rest on the sand bed and the grouper and puffer are dead.
furan-2 did not work, Mela fix did not work, Maracyn2 did not work, hypo did not work. I ordered Kanaplex but it didn't arrive here in time to make any difference. I am very frustrated by this and I am considering this tank to be permanently infected and will no longer add any new fish to it in the future unless I take out every piece of sand and LR and scrub it down. Whatever infected my fish can still be in the tank and was highly medication resistant.
I am so sorry that you lost your fish. Are the clown and sailfin still alive? Bacteria is in every tank, but once the bacteria breeds on a sick fish the level of sickening bacteria becomes over abundant.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2469386
yes, the other two fishes have shown no symptoms of the disease at all.
Okay, bacterial lives in the water column. There is no bacteria that just lives in the sand. These two probably had/have a higher immune system. Are they still eating well? Give some history on your grouper. What kind was it and how long did you have it? The puffer wasn't eating already so his death, while tragic, is not a surprise.

kazarko

I would disagree on the bacteria issue. If some bacteria can live in gravel and foam, then it can live in the sand.
The puffer fish was eating until it got sick, the infection caused the puffer to stop eating. Same with the grouper. The grouper also stopped eating after a few days of showing signs of illness.
The puffer has been in the tank for over 1 year without health problems except lockjaw once. The grouper has been there about 6-7 months and never had any health problems whatsoever.
The disease was highly sudden and mostly likely transmitted from contaminated foods.
The two other fish are definitely eating well.

N

nicolekarisny

Did your puffer inflate? Do you have pictures of your other fish? Vibrio is uncommon in aquarium fish. It is a bacterial infection that could have come in on the shellfish, but if the fish had a descent immune system then it would not infect the fish at all. It infects from the intestines and the infection spreads from there. It is infectious to humans that eat the contaminated fish, but the only fish that really seem to be infected by the bacteria are those in overcrowded distribution tanks. I am talking about hundreds of fish in small tanks. I highly doubt that this is what your fish has. What was the contaminated food source? On the pics of the puffer it looks like he inflated and the bottom of his stomach was torn. This has happened with other puffers and they rarely make it. Post pics of symptoms on your other fish.
i have same thing he is still alive but hasn't ate in 4 days .

Attachments

N

nicolekarisny

http:///forum/post/2457767
I've got a tank with sick fish from vibrio, possibly from raw uncooked shell fish I fed to my puffer fish. I am currently using a fungus med for secondary infections and furan-2 for the bacterial infection. Any additional suggestions? I tried to upload some pics, but the uploads failed even though I had jpeg pictures of <500x500 pixels and less than 100k in size
The fish had open red sores and my puffer fish turned a pale color of dead flesh on one side of his body that spread very quickly and he already passed away.
Are you certain that it is vibrio? The treatment for that is medication that contains Terramycin or Romet, added to the foods. I am not familiar with Furan-2, but check the ingredients. Have you checked your water levels? Having proper water levels is important for the fish to recover. Post some pictures as soon as you can so that we can help identify what they have.
mine hasn't ate in three days help

Attachments