Silica Based play sand

treg

Hi
Im about to set up a 90 gallon tank, actually just carried in 90 lbs of live rock 2 mins ago! :D
Ive looked all over for southdown sand and havnt been able to get any so I did buy 2 50 lb bags of what I believe is silica based play sand at home depot. I also have 40 lbs of live sand due here tomorrow from this site. Before I add this play sand tomorrow is there anything I should do or any reason I should not use it?

T

tygerfifteen

me and my friend both bought some , I had cyno he didn't so I guess it's okay

bang guy

Originally posted by Treg
umm, its kind of tan with a little bit of black in it?

I would definately not use it.

E

elan

i bought sand at home depot and it was 100% silica based play sand. It was the premium grade which is said to be child safe. i dont think i would use anything other than that.. if it doesnt say 100%, then who knows what it contains.

treg

Ok
I guess I'll keep hunting for sand. :(
Im thinking about using all live sand so that I know I get the right stuff. Cost me a bit more but I know I'll be ok I guess...

fulcrum

The stuff I got at Home Depo said "%100 silica play sand." Most importantly it said "washed and sterilized"
The washing will cut down on submicron sized silica particles, which can be easily inhaled if dry. The sterilizing just makes me feel safer using it.

bang guy

Originally posted by fulcrum
The washing will cut down on submicron sized silica particles, which can be easily inhaled if dry.

You should still wear a mask when working with dry Silica sand though. It's quite hazardous.

fulcrum

Not a bad warning, but if they are selling this for kids to play in I hope for their sakes it is rinsed free of any harmful amount of submicron silica.
Bang Guy, you are probably right not to trust them. God help them if they don't rinse it well and some kid gets silicosis!

ramba

I saw Quickrete Playsand at Toys R us and almost bought it 'till I read the label, "This product contains substances known to the state of California to cause cancer" or something to that effect. What's that all about?

fulcrum

Inhaling submicron sized silica will essentially coat the inside of your lungs. There are numerous health issues that are caused by this. The overall condition is called "silicosis." It used to plague people who worked in the ceramics industry like black lung plagued coal miners.
In very small quantities its not that bad, but you would be best not to inhale any.

E

elan

substances known to the state of California to cause cancer.... i have read that on almost anything i get my hands on... what is the deal with california???

I

irenicus

I've used silica in freshwater. Worked fine. Just wear a mask when dumping. It can cause silicosis or something. A condition in the lungs.