silicates, how do i get rid of them?

aly

i am having a probelm with too many silicates in my water. i have a 55 with a fluval 304. i want to know what to put into it to make the outbreack go away faster and what kinds of inverts or crabs will eat this stuff? i have some hermits and one cleaner shrimp as well as a yellow tang that i thought would keep the tank clean at least for a little while. what else can i put in there to help out? i know that no snails is a problem but i havn't gotten there yet, it is still a fairly new tank. thanks for the help the other day guys, now that i know they are silicates i want to know how to remove them.
peace and love,
aly

slick

There are a couple different products that will remove phosphates. Some are sponge type material and some are little particles you put into a bag and hang in your tank. There are so many types of crabs and snails you can just put together a list and order them. This site has a pre packaged clean up crew based on tank size. Just click on reef packages on the left of your screen and choose the one you want.

aly

this may sound silly, but what is RO/DI water? it is just deionized? or is there something else to it, and how do i get it? thanks a bunch, all of you.
-aly

jim672

Aly,
Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized water. You can buy it from many LFS, often in grocery stores or places like Walmart, or you can buy an RO/DI unit for your home water system.
Jim