Silicone Questions

mo-mo

Please help me. Is there danger in using certain sillicone to install my dump box. I heard that you make sure what you get is NSF listed for use on potable water systems, and you will be fine. What if it is not. I have a lot of Elastomeric Marine sealant by Rule and Sudbury. Is this bad or not. What should I use. I know there is Aquarium silicone but it is such a small tube. Please help!!!!!!

seaguru

O.K. I learned about this the hard way! Do NOT use marine silicone as it is toxic. Take it from me I called the company after I had already used it to find out that it was toxic! Generally speaking when you use the correct silicone it will have a vinegar-like smell as it cures. If it does not you are using the wrong kind.
Finally I called GE-Silicone (another company) which makes much of the silicone marketed under other brand names and they were totally curtious and helpful. Here's the scoop:
The kind marketed for aquariums is the same as their...
GE-Silicone I Window & Door
and on the tube near the UPC code the stock # is GE012A.
Most hardware stores carry it.
Good-luck, Joe.

seaguru

Just to add to Rendos reply... the GE silicone comes in tubes and is as I mentioned is the same as Perfecto's and All-Glass' stuff, just not as expensive. I have used the GE-Silicone I with no problems or death of livestock. Joe.

ebqwert

I just bought a tube of GE Silicone II but haven't used it yet. Do you think that it is ok too or should I return it and get silicone I?

seaguru

ebqwert...
No do not use S-II, I was told by GE that it contains anti-mold chemicals, etc. Probably very toxic to livestock! Hope you see this in time... again I have used GE Silicone I as advised by GE on my 55g refugium to my 125g display tank and have not had any issues... I only have some live rock, crabs, 1 sand sifting starfish, and 10 fish. They all seem happy for months now... Good luck, Joe.

ebqwert

I haven't used the S-II yet. I hope to build the sump/refuge over the weekend.
I'll probably just use re-seal my tub with it. And make another trip to Home Depot for S-I. I also wound up a few PVC connectors short!
thanks

S

srawrats

If you read the back of the tube they will tell you if you can use it on aquariums or not. Look for applications and if it says not for Aquarium use it is Toxic. Ocea (tank manufacture) here where I am stationed told me this.

nicenakago

Don't most silicones have silicates in them? Bad for a reef tank...
Anyone know where to get the black silicone that is silcate free and tank friendly?

javatech

i don't have an other tube i used 10 of them on my tank it's made for fish tank's it's from allglass the Aquarium maker

javatech

sorry i ment i used ten tubes when i built my plywood tank and i don't have one left to look at. but the Silicone that i was talking about is made for fish tanks so it should be ok

nicenakago

thanks.
I couldn't find any info there, and I couldn't even find a way to contact the makers of it...
oh well
i guess i could get a small tube and let some cure in a plastic cup and test it there....