Single best Coral for Newbs?

john suh

Any suggestions? Have a 30 gallon long with 2 damsels, 1 tomato clown and lots of hermit crabs, emerald crabs and a Coral banded shrimp.

Our condo gets warm in the summer and I don't plan on running a chiller or air conditioner 24/7 so tank temperature with heater unplugged "may" get as high as 81-83 so need a coral that don't have huge temperature requirements. In addition looking for something low to mid lighting needs.

Googled this site but gave a huge variety. Am just looking at 1 or 2 hardy species that I should keep an eye out for next time I hit the LPS.

xxxxxxx please do not advertise for other websites (edited by Bang Guy)

Last edited by a moderator:

flower

Mushrooms absolutely, and Kenya tree. Oddly enough I would say Elegance coral too, it loves a "dirty" tank. The only reason people call them corals for beginners, is that beginners have trouble keeping the parameters balanced. Xenia likes a little (not much), nitrate, mushrooms seem to flourish no matter what.

bang guy

I disagree with Elegance as a beginner coral.

Mushrooms for sure. Even Ricordea Yuma. Candycane isn't too bad either.

pegasus

I'm with BG... no Elegance. That's an expensive coral to watch die. Unless you've got a very mature system with excellent lighting, and experience with similar corals, I highly recommend passing on it for the time being. Yes, mushrooms, ricordeas (floridas are easiest), anthelia, xenia, kenya, colt, etc. should all be good beginner corals.

flower

I disagree with Elegance as a beginner coral.

Mushrooms for sure. Even Ricordea Yuma. Candycane isn't too bad either.
I guess every tank is different on what can live, I could keep an elegance for years and years, but a candycane or clover coral never seemed to have a chance.

I was told that for some reason, mushrooms and SPS corals can't survive in the same tank, so John, if you plan to upgrade to SPS corals once you get a handle on keeping coral, don't have mushrooms in the tank at the same time.

pegasus

I was told that for some reason, mushrooms and SPS corals can't survive in the same tank, so John, if you plan to upgrade to SPS corals once you get a handle on keeping coral, don't have mushrooms in the tank at the same time.
I have lots of mushrooms (actidonis and rhodactis) growing on the rocks directly beside my SPS corals. I think you may be confusing mushrooms with leathers...

pegasus

Many soft corals give off toxins that can inhibit the growth of SPS, but leathers are the worst. They can kill SPS with their toxins (terpenoids) through this "chemical warfare".

Activated charcoal filtration will remove the majority of soft coral toxins, but doesn't guarantee any degree of security when it comes to leathers.

Last edited:

lmforbis

Good to know. I only have one very small toad stool. Otherwise mostly LPS and Zoa/Palys. I do run a carbon reactor and my tank is 125 so hopefully anything it secretes is diluted.

pegasus

Activated charcoal? What brand? Kingsford!!! LOL. I meant activated carbon, but you knew what I meant. Yeah, your tank should be plenty big to dilute any toxins and the carbon should take care of it. Just to be safe, I'd make sure the toadstool was downstream of the other corals if possible... or if that even makes sense. In other words, try not to let the power head(s) push the flow from the toadstool directly towards the other corals.

lmforbis

Activated charcoal? What brand? Kingsford!!! LOL. I meant activated carbon, but you knew what I meant. Yeah, your tank should be plenty big to dilute any toxins and the carbon should take care of it. Just to be safe, I'd make sure the toadstool was downstream of the other corals if possible... or if that even makes sense. In other words, try not to let the power head(s) push the flow from the toadstool directly towards the other corals.
LOL, It's all carbon. The toad stool is at the very bottom of my rock work where the least amount of flow is, based on the chronic cyano I have in the sand below it. I really don't plan on any more leathers. This one was in a 5 coral assortment. I wouldn't have bought it on my own. I really like LPS, the way they move in the flow. Until I get a couple more Kessils I don't think SPS will do very well. I have a birds nest that is holding its own but I don't think it is growing.

pegasus

Cyano is a great indicator of low flow, that's for sure. I have dustings of it here and there myself. Yeah, if the birds nest doesn't appear to be growing, it would definitely be best to hold up on the SPS... although the birds nest is an SPS. But it's a good "indicator" SPS... lol! If it's thriving it'll grow fairly fast, so it's not hard to notice growth on it. I tend to take pictures of slower growing corals, and compare the pics after a couple of weeks, a month, or couple of months to check on their progress.

flower

I have lots of mushrooms (actidonis and rhodactis) growing on the rocks directly beside my SPS corals. I think you may be confusing mushrooms with leathers...
I'm not confused, I was going by what I was told by somebody here on the site, I always take to heart what folks on this site say. I had lots of mushrooms back then, and left off bothering with SPS coral because of what I was told. Thinking about it now...I had leathers too, so the results would have been the same I guess. I always ran carbon to prevent chemical warfare between the corals, the same person who told me no mushrooms also said carbon wouldn't prevent the problem.

Leathers need high flow to help shed their skin and clear themselves of algae.

I use a wooden dowel, and attach a plastic ribbon to it...I can place it in different areas of the tank, and see what kind of flow each area has. Not all areas will have the same flow, but all areas should have some...if the ribbon drops it's a dead spot, readjust your power heads. Knowing the flow in the tank will help you decide on where to place certain corals for the best results.

The picture idea is a good one.

lmforbis

I'll have to take a pic tomorrow when the lights are on and see what I looks like in a month or so. I got the Birds nest because they are easy and inexpensive to use for and experiment. It does look better than when I got it. It was browned out then now polyps are neon green.
I have been fighting the cyano since I moved everything into the new tank. It is worst in the corners under the power heads. Sand sifting goby helps it look better but it is still there.

pegasus

I'm not saying mushrooms don't secret toxins, because they do. That said, as long as they aren't in competition for space, the chemical release will be minimal. I'm not naïve... I realize that if an SPS (and many LPS) coral infringes on a mushrooms territory, or vice versa, it normally results in the death of the SPS. I'm very meticulous about making sure no baby shrooms make their way anywhere close to my LPS or SPS corals. In fact, I make sure they leave the tank. I've had mushrooms as long as I've had my tank, and added LPS not too long after I got the mushrooms. I've lost one LPS, Duncans, due to infection. I got my first SPS over a year ago, and have been slowly adding more to the collection. So far, I've only lost one SPS, an Acro that I got really cheap because it wasn't in good health to begin with. Every LPS and SPS in my tank is growing and thriving, with the exception of my strawberry shortcake acro. It turned brown during shipping, and is now only pink. The green is slowly coming back, but it seems like it's taking forever. Then again, the guy that sold it to me told me it would do that.

I've read plenty of articles recommending not to mix softies with SPS, so I know the risk. Most of them mention mushrooms, but the majority of warnings are for softies like sinularia, devil's hand, other types of leathers... and even GSP! Notice on the left side of this picture there's a nice cluster of GSP in very close proximity to several SPS. Not too far to the left of the GSP, is a rock with clusters of mushrooms. I obviously have a problem following directions, as I set up my tank in a way that goes against the advice of not mixing softies, LPS, and SPS. It appears that the only rule I haven't broken is to throw in some leathers. Either I'm the luckiest SOB out there, or maybe... just maybe... it's possible to have all three at the same time? I feel I've done okay so far, but I know (without a doubt) that putting a single leather in this tank would be the straw that breaks the camel's back...

20150602_142630A.jpg

Here's a shot with the mushrooms:

20150604_125537A.jpg

I kind of forgot about the lavender rhodactis mushroom just above the mint pavona...

Last edited: