sixline wrasse cucoon

rlablan

I have googled and binged...
I am looking for a pic or a video of a sixline wrasse in a cucoon at night.
I completely forgot this curious behavior of theirs, and I even had a sixline for while and and never looked for myself.
Does anyone out there have a pic or a video of this interesting creature's habits?
I would really like to see it!!!
Thanks,
Rae

stanlalee

good luck with that. a year and eight months and various aquascapes and I have yet to discover where my sixline sleeps. I believe one or two times I've seen the cocoun floating around briefly after he woke up.

mrdc

I had one for two years and never saw where it went to sleep. Will have to look harder if I ever get another one.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3228272
good luck with that. a year and eight months and various aquascapes and I have yet to discover where my sixline sleeps. I believe one or two times I've seen the cocoun floating around briefly after he woke up.
I agree, best of luck discovering where the wrasse sleeps. I have always had a six line wrasse (it was the second fish I ever bought for my marine tank) and have kept one ever since. In many years I have not found where it sleeps.

rlablan

wow... so no one knows... I kinda figured. I am just really interested in seeing it.
Thanks anyway.
If anyone does come across this, definitely post it for all of us to see!

mattfrancis

I was aquascaping before my lights were on and I found my sixline in between 3 rocks with almost no hole. I have no idea how she got there, she wasn't moving so I figured she was sleeping. Finished aquascaping and she popped right out for breakfast.

hunt

Mine moves spots at night it first starts wedged betweenn two rock at the bottom of the tank and then to...only the wrasse knows were

mrdc

That is so cool. My LFS ordered me one this week and it is supposed to be in today. My current stock doesn't swim around much so I need a swimmer.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3231453
That is so cool. My LFS ordered me one this week and it is supposed to be in today. My current stock doesn't swim around much so I need a swimmer.
you'll really enjoy him once he gets used to you and the tank. mine will come out and flare his fin and roll side to side at me (trying to trick me into feeding him) wont do it for a camera but he'll do it for guests too if they stand still. he's always moving in and out of the rock work. definatly one of my top 5 favorite fishes. right up there in personality with algae blennies.

meowzer

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3231468
you'll really enjoy him once he gets used to you and the tank. mine will come out and flare his fin and roll side to side at me (trying to trick me into feeding him) wont do it for a camera but he'll do it for guests too if they stand still. he's always moving in and out of the rock work. definatly one of my top 5 favorite fishes. right up there in personality with algae blennies.
So funny you say that...I have had mine in the 54g for like a year, and the last couple of weeks it has been putting on a show for me.....It comes up to the glass....kinda like it's kissing it...flares it's top fin, swims kinda sideways..like it's showing off for me
It had never done anything like this before....it's really a very fun fish to watch now
It also plays with the 2 clowns, the flame hawk and it kinda tease each other

hunt

I spent like an hour with a flashlight looking for it. I found it in a hole right next to the glass.

rlablan

Lets all tip our hats to HUNT for getting those great pictures!! I am excited that someone actually got a shot of it!!!
I am not sure that I was thinking it would look like that. I was thinking it would be like... less transparent? I am not sure why... I expected something a lot more... i DK, gross...

thanks again.

elementzx

i just got a sixline wrasse last night, and when i put him in the tank he wasnt looking so good, so i closely monitored him. (bought online so he was shipped overnight) I saw him go into a hiding spot, this was before i knew about the whole cocoon thing, and he stopped moving and it looked like he stopped breathing. he was under a piece of my live rock so what i did was pick up the live rock and got him to start swimming again. (probably not the best idea but i was worried he was dead) when i picked up the rock i saw the cocoon pretty obviously, i would compare it to a spider web like substance, i thought it was bad so freaked out and hit google. he is doing much better today however