Size of Tank to Start With

joyful23

Hi there! I am new to salt water so I have been reading a lot of books. I was just wondering what would be a good size tank to start with. I don't want to go too small and then wish I would have went bigger. If I went with a 75 gallon would I be able to do a reef tank? I would like to have a large variety of colorful fish (doesn't everyone?) and maybe eventually some corals and anemons. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

djevack

do at least 55g. you could do a 75 or even 90g. There wont be much cost difference between the 75 and 90. I started w/ a 90g. could size to start learning with, imo

joyful23

It's not the tank that I'm worried about, it's all the other things that I will need to go with it. I figured I have about $1500 or so to spend. Any advice?

aredmon

I think a 75 would do fine for a reef. I am new also and only doing a Fish with Live rock tank. Do you know what kind of fish you would like to have? If you want a large number of bright fish and a reef you will want to go with smaller fish like gobies, clowns and such. Kind of figure out what fish you would like to have and then pick a tank size. You don't have to know the exact fish but if there is a certain kind you like overall be sure to get a tank to fit them.

27mtaylor

Just remember that a larger tank gives you a little more margin of error than a smaller one does. That will help out when dealing with water quality issues and such.

joyful23

My kids love the "Nemo" type fish. Clowns, Tangs, Grammas, etc. I don't want to mess with anything that gets really big or is aggressive. I would like to have as many small colorful fish as possible.

djevack

Originally Posted by PFitz44
Start with the biggest tank you can afford....
I agree with that to some degree. Just becasue you have thousand of dollars to spend doesnt mean you should buy a 275g. I would say 75 or 90 would be fine. but by getting a 120g you would have a 6' long tank which increases what fish you can have. So yes the bigger the better, but dont go crazy

pfitz44

Tangs get quite big....
if your dead set on getting a tang, id start with atleast a 125
Theres always DIY optionf for stuff like the stand, lights, etc...

djevack

Originally Posted by Joyful23
With a 125gal, what would expect total setup to cost excluding the fish?

if you set it up right 1500-2000

pfitz44

it depends on what you are going to buy, and what your are going to build... and were you can save money... Heres some money saving tips:
Check the famous auction site for Retro kits for lights. That will save you ~500 off of MH lights
Buy some cheap lava rock at a landscaping store and use that as baserock. It will eventually become live rock, as you will put live rock on top of it. That can save you, at least for me, $9/lb
Build your own stand. There are plenty of plans in the DIY section.

joyful23

Ok...Can you give me some recommendations as far as what type of filter, lighting, heater, etc. to buy. I have been reading up on it, but books don't really give you any info regarding what size or what brands are best for the money.

aredmon

I would set up a refugium, as for filtration, MH lighting, and I don't have a particular brand on heaters.