Skimmer Brand Ratings

sankysyuck

Hey I didn't see the Coralife Skimmers rated. We're using one in a tank at my work (I work at a pet store) and to our surprise it's working extremely good. Mudplayerx, have any thoughts?

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by SankysYuck
Hey I didn't see the Coralife Skimmers rated. We're using one in a tank at my work (I work at a pet store) and to our surprise it's working extremely good. Mudplayerx, have any thoughts?
Heh, you sure picked the wrong person to ask. I'm using a visijet that I converted to a limewood-airstone driven model. The information provided in this post was compiled by Steve Pro, as I have no experince with any skimmers other than my Frankenstein one. :joy:

S

stevenpro

I have not used any of the Coralife units yet.
But in addition to the ones listed above, I have also used several All Seas Marine (ASM) skimmers since I wrote that article and I like them very much. They are strong performers at a reasonable price making them an excellent value in my opinion.

sankysyuck

Which hang-on skimmer would you reccomend for a 50 gal reef? I have a Seaclone on there now, what a waste that was, I was thinking about a Remora? That sounds like the best one.

mudplayerx

I just purchased a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 about a few weeks ago and wanted to give my opinion on it. First of all, it is a hang on the back and in-sump model all in one so that is a plus. The pricetag is also very reasonable at around $100 or cheaper.
The design is nice, producing an enormous amount of bubbles. However, the bubbles don't stay in contact with the water for as long as I would like. This, of course, is due to the fact that the skimmer is only about 2' tall. I couldn't use a larger skimmer in my situation so I complain for no reason :p
The bubble diffuser works very well in my opinion. It utilizes a combination of an overflow box and foam inserts to pretty much stamp out any microbubbles past the initial break-in stage. The skimmer also has a valve dedicated solely for the purpose of breaking in the skimmer, which works exceptionally well.
My only real complaint is the method of emptying the collection cup. The entire cup must be removed, which is difficult and requires the manipulation of the water-level dial. I simply bypass this by using a toothbrush to scrap out the sludge and a airline tubing to siphon out the foul liquid.
In closing, a very good skimmer with plenty of bang for the buck. I apologize for any grammar or sentence errors. It is exam week and I'm exhausted. G'night.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
I just purchased a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 about a few weeks ago and wanted to give my opinion on it. First of all, it is a hang on the back and in-sump model all in one so that is a plus. The pricetag is also very reasonable at around $100 or cheaper.
The design is nice, producing an enormous amount of bubbles. However, the bubbles don't stay in contact with the water for as long as I would like. This, of course, is due to the fact that the skimmer is only about 2' tall. I couldn't use a larger skimmer in my situation so I complain for no reason :p
The bubble diffuser works very well in my opinion. It utilizes a combination of an overflow box and foam inserts to pretty much stamp out any microbubbles past the initial break-in stage. The skimmer also has a valve dedicated solely for the purpose of breaking in the skimmer, which works exceptionally well.
My only real complaint is the method of emptying the collection cup. The entire cup must be removed, which is difficult and requires the manipulation of the water-level dial. I simply bypass this by using a toothbrush to scrap out the sludge and a airline tubing to siphon out the foul liquid.
In closing, a very good skimmer with plenty of bang for the buck. I apologize for any grammar or sentence errors. It is exam week and I'm exhausted. G'night.
You have to cut the intake tubing pretty short for it to work properly. I had to deal with that at first, couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. I traded it in for a aqua c remora, then my LFS figured it out by cutting the intake short and it started working right. I think I'll try it again for my new tank, at least I know what the problem was now. I dunno if I should go with the 125 or the 220 rating for my new tank, it's a 90g bowfront RR with 30g sump/fuge. Which one would you go with??? :happyfish